My jaw is locked. It has been clenched for so long today that I think the muscles must have gone into spasm.
Firstborn is driving me to drink. Literally.
She’s learning to drive and every day this week I have laid my life on the line and accompanied her on a little jaunt to various outlying towns.
Tuesday we did Salisbury , Waitrose’s car park and then the Green Dragon.
Wednesday we did Devizes, Morrisons’ car park and the Drummer Boy.
Thursday we did Marlborough (what a stuck up town that is), another Waitrose, and the Rose and Crown.
Today we did Chichester and the Cathedral, praying is another thing I’m trying.
Not only do I have lockjaw, but I can no longer speak without gibbering (should I ever be able to speak again that is). I have a frozen left shoulder from clinging desperately to the door handle and cricked neck from flinching as we pass cars, walls, hedges so closely that the gap would have to be measured in microns.
She has NO FEAR. I now have enough for England .
I only open my eyes now when forced to give an opinion on which way to get to the nearest pub.
This is trickier than you may think because neither of us can tell left from right, clockwise from anti, or east from west. So it requires wild gesticulating, normally from the footwell.
It is a far, far braver thing I do than I have ever done . . .

13 comments:
If you drink through a straw you get drunk more quickly (or so we used to believe when we were teenagers).
My mum does the clinging on thing too - and I passed my test many years ago. Perhaps it's a mother thang ...
So...pub-crawling through the Upper West Country? Gee, Ziggi! You missed some crackers in Chichester!
Is Firstborn better on a broomstick?
In your sports car?
I have been taking my mother out in mine this week; only once has she screamed, as we went round a bend a little fatser than she expected.
'Fatser'. She has been eating too many hot cross buns.
why not stick to broomsticks?
dave needs to find a spell checkery gadget for his comments
either that, or cut down on the drugs
or, like me, not care too much about spelling
*keeps fingers crossed for more safe driving*
you must be a fab mum!
shall I leave any more comments, or is four enough to be going on with?
Asked a girl what she wanted to be
She said baby, can't you see
I wanna be famous, a star on the screen
But you can do something in between
Baby you can drive my car
Yes I'm gonna be a star
Baby you can drive my car
And maybe I'll love you
I told that girl that my prospects were good
And she said baby, it's understood
Working for peanuts is all very fine
But I can show you a better time
Baby you can drive my car
Yes I'm gonna be a star
Baby you can drive my car
And maybe I'll love you
Beep beep'm beep beep yeah
Baby you can drive my car
Yes I'm gonna be a star
Baby you can drive my car
And maybe I'll love you
I told that girl I can start right away
When she said listen babe I got something to say
I got no car and it's breaking my heart
But I've found a driver that's a star
Baby you can drive my car
Yes I'm gonna be a star
Baby you can drive my car
And maybe I'll love you
Beep beep'm beep beep yeah
Beep beep'm beep beep yeah
Beep beep'm beep beep yeah
Beep beep'm beep beep yeah
sorry couldn't resist!
I asked Vicus yesterday to install a spellchecker on comments, to stop me making a mess of his beautifully-neat blog.
I don't supose Zig minds.
mm - no it's definitely a fear thing!
dm - nice Chichester isn't it? I'll go back and do the pubs another time!
d - no, surprisingly I couldn't get her insured for my car (phew) so Himself bought her an old escort off ebay for £200!
ILTV - great song, I like the one that starts O Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benze, my friends all have Porches, ta di da da I can't remember the rest!
Spelling? pah! Who needs it - I've managed this far without it :)
oh I love that song
thanks for reminding me!
Mercedes Benz - that'll be the late, great Janis Joplin:
Oh Lord, won't you buy me
A Mercedes Benz
My friends all drive Porches
I must make amends
Worked hard all my lifetime
No help from my friends
So Oh Lord, won't you buy me
A Mercedes Benz ...
Post a Comment