Saturday, September 19, 2015

tag liatelle

I have been tagged by ILTV!

It’s less painful than a wasp sting and a 6 inch nail so I shall have a go but food is not my forte. I like to eat food though.

5 things about food

Do I know 5 interesting things about food? ‘Interesting’ obviously being relative and subjective.

I don’t expect you to be interested at all – fear not, but it makes a change from the wasps which are now thankfully dying but not yet dead. And my leg which isn’t better, but red and hot and swollen. That sounds quite fun writing it, but I assure you, it sadly isn’t.

One
My mother is an excellent, but bad tempered cook. She then resents her food being eaten. Consequently all 3 of her daughters couldn’t cook, 2 are quite good now, 1 still isn’t. We ate things like nashigoren, curries, chilli and spaghetti bolognese in the ‘60s when no-one else had ever heard of these things in rural England. We were so ashamed and could never invite other kids home for supper.

Two
My ex-husband used to make all our bread, but now I’ve gotten used to Hovis Best of Both. It’s a small price to pay.

Three
Himself can bake an excellent banana and walnut cake but can’t (so he says) cook a meal. I can’t cook a cake or a meal. I can arrange a salad though; well open the bag and tip it onto plates. Cherry tomatoes are an excellent invention don’t you think? I can even slice cucumber evenly with the cheese slice. Having read FN’s post I can add apple, celery and walnuts and make a Hot Waldorf as well.

Four
I once made mayonnaise (again courtesy of FN) but have only managed it the one time. Mind you I’ve never tried again.

Five
I once tried to be a vegetarian but it was so boring. Pulses and chick peas and nut roasts and all that jazz are so uninspiring. So then I just ate normally but not the meat and lost a stone and became anaemic. I have never managed a successful diet since but at least my blood is red.

14 comments:

dinahmow said...

I knew you'd been tagged and wondered how you'd handle it!
Now, pay attention,this is IMPORTANT!
If you have not had that thigh seen to by an expert (other than Himself!)
get down to the local NHS quackery and, at the very least, get something to prevent your leg turning green and dropping off. Or you'll have to ride your broom and horses side saddle.

andrea said...

These are priceless. I laughed out loud at #1.

Todd Camplin said...

I hate being taged. It takes some time to wash off the paint on my walls.

Dave said...

Well, I had a very nice meal at your place.

Oh, it was a salad, wasn't it?

Still, you did warm up some chicken to go with it.

Rob Clack said...

Stir-fried wasps?

Ces Adorio said...

Why is it that people who claim they don't cook or can't cook write the most interesting and funniest posts about cooking?

I, Like The View said...

I was laughing all the way thru this. . .

but, like dynamo I'm seriously worried about your leg - I had a blister on my foot that didn't heal up for six weeks and I totally ignored it. . .


. . .it was only a blister. . .

. . .I ended up in hospital having narrowly avoided death by septic shock (yes, from a blister - think how much worse your injury is) with penicillin being pumped into my veins every four hours for ten days

(they were hours away from chopping off my foot) (and I almost had heart failure) (and my blood is a really good red)

suppose you could make a poltice out of bagged salad and squished cherry tomoatoes, but it might not work as well as a trip to the doc's in good time to avoid something more serious

(sorry, I bet that didn't raise any laughs at all - but scratches or worse that don't heal really worry me after my experience)

FirstNations said...

it's immensely gratifying to know that i've added so much to your culinary repetoire. coming eventually to my place will be: the Overly Complicated Bread Recipe.
be there!

(adding my concerns to those stated above. puncture wounds are the worse, and the hot, red and swollen means BAD THINGS. the nail might have looked clean, but germs are really little...and that not counting the ones having holidays on the surface of your skin that got pushed in alongside the nail riders-although i'm sure those were very cute, friendly germs. anyway GET IT LOOKED AT NOW.)

Rog said...

I hope you always check your pulses before becoming veggie again.

Dave said...

Last year, whilst gardening at my mothers, I stood on a rusty nail, which went right through the sole of my boot, and well into my foot (it was fun getting that boot off).

I didn't bother with a tetanus jab...







...but the next day I disturbed a wasps nest in a bush, and got badly stung on the head and neck...





...that seemed just as good as an injection, and they didn't have to remove my foot or anything, and as you know, the experience left me completely normal, and nothing like an axe-murderer.

I feel my commenting colleagues have given you a tad too much sympathy, and someone should do something to redress the balance. Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I always feel reassured when people say they can't cook, but I don't believe them. There's only me in the entire world who can't cook.

No, honestly.

I, Like The View said...

dear ziggi

thank you for entering my competition, please come and collect your prize at your convenience!

ILTV

Dave said...

I've just noticed 'tag liatelle'. Very good.

Rog said...

Loving these blasts from the past!