Saturday, September 19, 2015

Welsh Rabbit

Here we are crossing into Wales. I haven't been on the New Bridge before. It was lovely but it cost £5.10. The accountant in me says collecting and counting all those
10ps will cost more than the net amount collected in 10ps. Still it's a French company so who cares.
In case you're interested it's 3.5 miles long. I think that's very long for a bridge and therefore very clever.

So Wales.
It's many a long year since I went to Wales but I was encouraged by the lovely pictures on
Murph's blog - (which won't obviously be on this page but they're there somewhere) and the fact that rain wasn't forecast. In a previous life when I was in Wales, it rained everyday and it was early closing everyday and there were a lot of sheep everywhere.

This time the sun shone and the sky was blue with fluffy little clouds and there were no more sheep than one expects.

Of course when we arrived at our hotel the room wasn't ready. This caused Himself great consternation as kickoff was 3pm. At 2.55 to he sent me to chivvy up the chambermaid, while he consoled himself with a pint at the bar.

Two minutes later he's at the door throwing the poor girl out and me in. I heard her descend the stairs snorting and confiding in the receptionist that we were obviously only there for a dirty weekend and couldn't wait to get started. As if?!

Sadly the match, if you didn't watch it, was singularly turgid and uninspirational but even worse Chelsea (hissss) scored in extra time. This was despite the fact Himself was wearing his lucky shirt, lucky jeans, lucky boxers, lucky socks and lucky scarf. And I'd packed the lucky beer and the lucky crisps and nuts.

We emerged from the room with very long faces to go for a walk. The receptionist noting our miserable expressions obviously thought the earth hadn't moved for us. We went for a walk along the sea wall and that's us - **aahhhh**

So more about Wales.
My blog friend Chocolate Drop
doesn't like tethered horses and neither do I. There are lots and lots in Wales. About every 100 yards / metres. Not one had any water and they could easily have wondered into the road. There is also a great deal of fly tipping and I wasn't impressed with that either.
Also, the tide was out. Not just out but absent. I think it was on its hols cos it wasn't there. (I don't know what the sea wall was for)


However I was impressed with the people who were, without exception, the friendliest, funniest and most helpful bunch that I've met in a long time.

The hotel in which we stayed, the Inn at the Elm Tree, had one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten in. The food was not only superb it was reasonably priced, the service was great, the menu was extensive and it was freshly cooked. I really want to be a restaurant / hotel critic.

On Sunday we went to the Valleys where a former colleague of Himself is now a biggerwig with the Constabulary there. I told him about the tethered horses, the fly tipping and the tide but he told me that they shoot tourists who complain and to have another drinky - so I did.

11 comments:

Rog said...

You should have untethered all the horses and done a welsh round up across the frog bridge.

Hotel looks nice..."crisp white linen adorns the tables in the Cool Chic, Restaurant and Cafe Bar, where Romance blooms and business deals flourish". Hopefully not at the same time of course.

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

Or you could have brought all the horses home - and we could've started a modern day Follyfoot ...

Did you get to see any gee-gees for yourself while you were there?

dinahmow said...

Ooh, Welsh Wales in fine weather. Super!
I did think of you the other day, Ziggi. What I thought was:"Chelsea have scored so Ziggi probably wont!"
Nix on roadside thethers from me, too.

I, Like The View said...

what a gorgeous photo of you in shadows!

lovely

I have been to where murph was - twice; the first time was when there was a sugar shortage and as well as discovering the beauty of the Welsh coast, my parents had us nick sachets of sugar from every restaurant/service station they took us to; and the second time was a drought year in the UK - I knew something was up, as when we crossed into Wales the landscape suddenly changed from yellow and brown and dusty to green and pleasant and vibrant - it rained every day for two weeks and was too cold and windy to go to the beach

my hair bleached blonder than usual that holiday - from the chlorine in the swimming pool!

(I haven't been back)

but after your trip and murph's, I'm sorely tempted now. . .

mental note to self *need to find someone to have an unclean weekend with*

;-)

Anonymous said...

The fly tipping is a result of new recycling rules from the Welsh Assembly. You can't throw things away - so you can either keep them forever of fly tip them.. simple really. Its an example of the law of unintended consequences..

Carmenzta said...

I love the picture of Himself and Herself!

WithinWithout said...

Well didn't you wear anything lucky? Why did you leave it all up to Himself? And did he, at least, get lucky?

Beautiful pic of your Selves.

Moominmama said...

The Macinac Bridge is 5 miles long. So there. *sfptptp*

Dave said...

No-one else has reported the difficulty you have encountered on my blog. It did, however, take me six goes to reach your blog. Perhaps your part of the world is in a time-warp, and is operating a few yaers behind the rest of us.

Dave said...

Vicus has just posted at my site a possible solution to your problem: 'Perhaps her mum has got parental controls enabled'.

Ask your mum nicely to remove them for you.

Oh, and re ILTV's comment - I love Wales. I usually go to North Wales, but twist my arm...

Romeo Morningwood said...

I hear that all of those Welsh miners are beautiful singers but the wymyn can't do hospital corners on the beds to save their lives.

The Government would have to pay me to drive on a bridge that was that long.

Where are the pics of those flippin' 168 letter traffic signs?
STOP in Cymraeg is something like
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgo
gerychwyrndrobwllllanty
siliogogogoch!