Saturday, September 19, 2015

how green is yours?

The pond had become so green you could stand a stick in it and the fish were fast evolving legs.

"I shall clean it" declared Himself.

"Good oh" said I.

We kept out of his way in case we were roped into the project but after a couple of hours the sounds of groaning and moaning became just too loud to ignore. I peered round the side of the house and he was emptying the pond with a bucket, clutching his back and looking very weary. The water level had dropped by about 6 inches. (It's a big pond)

"See the (useless) filter" I said, "that's driven by a pump"

"So?"

I seriously thought about leaving it at that and going away again, but hey, this is a clever man and it's not often I can show just how completely dim he can be.

I pulled the pipe off the filter and turned on the pump. The water poured down the garden.

"Will you marry me?" he said.


It took most of the day to empty it and then a plaintive

"Eh? How do I get the fish out?" was heard.

Kids, no matter the age, love to get wet and mucky. We were in that pond faster than a fast thing.



It was dark before we'd caught the last fish. I think there were more than 60 in there.

We left the hose filling it over night and this morning I awoke to the sound of overflowing pond.

Before anyone else was up I had the fun of rehoming the fish. As I put them in one by one I named them all. I'll save that for another post though. We had 3 fatalities and so will naturally be having a formal funeral and wake for later today.

Put look at this:






You can see fish - that's the first time this year!

No comments: