Last night we had to go out to dinner. Some bigwig was retiring.
I had a new dress to wear but I didn’t have any shoes, none of the 67 pairs in my wardrobe were quite right. So after work I went to the shops in Salisbury , home of the aged shopper and the brogue.
But, maybe there is a god because I found these.
They were only £50. I tried them on. There was a very little snag in walking in them but these are shoes for looking at not moving in. And there was a “20% off everything today" sale.
My computer like brain can do that maths, only £40! I can have an extra G&T tonight I thought.
£4.00 said the lady. I looked at the till. It really did say £4.00
My conscience shuffled in dismay. Should I point out that it should be £40.00 or just pay up quickly and run. Unfortunately I couldn’t make a decision of such magnitude quickly enough and as the seconds ticked past the lady looked at the price more closely and then back at me. I felt mortified for not having pointed it out myself - Oh the shame.
She smiled a big smile.
“you think it’s wrong don’t you?” she said
“I think it should be £40” I said, “but I prefer £4.00”
“it’s 20% off the marked price” she said “people don’t often realise just how much that is!”
“I think 20% off £50 is £40” I said
“Oh no dear, the till works it out automatically, you don’t have to worry, it’s a computer and it can’t possible be wrong” she said
“that’s marvellous!” I said and I paid the £4.00 and scarpered.
26 comments:
Brilliant! Those tills must be right.
Hey! At that point I think you are entitled to a Woo and a Hoo and no guilt whatsoever.
The reason that you might find it difficult walking in those shoes is because they aren't shoes, it is a shoe. Singular. Alone. Meant for one foot not two.
I hope that this helps.
No no, aren't these what Spinny with her customary delicacy calls 'shoulder shoes'?
Partners in crime! You two could become very close indeed... :) (And great shoes! How I would love to be able to wear a pair like that. In my next life I'm coming back as a petite woman.)
Murph - until I'm overcharged I will never question them again!
V - I do feel just a titchy bit guilty but mostly smug!
VC - my camera is too small to take a pic with both shoes in - sorry to confuse you.
Mang - what are shoulder shoes??? I have been reading a blog by Spinsterella (is that Spinny?) but no mention of shoulder shoes just some beardy bloke at work and tinned potatoes. I'm going back tho, she's v funny :)
A -I'm not petite - I'm 5'6" about 6 foot in those shoes - or is that petite?!
four quid!! what a bargain. . .
how many extra gin and tonics did that enable you to buy!!
I don't get it, I still don't get it!
Shoulders are not the bits on a man I normally spend my time imagining but I'm trying and failing to see the significance!
Have I become to past it or pathetic to understand? aaarrgghhhhhh!!
ps ILTV how to you do bold and italics?
I know so little . . .
o for that to
and on the next to replace the t with a d
it's the stress of owning shoulder shoes and not knowing what to do with them! (I have other pairs of shoes that look a bit like that, have I been missing out?)
Dave why have you decommented?
Wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea about me. I'm not supposed to understand about s** and suchlike.
goodness! what DID you say???
I explained how shoes might end up on someone's shoulders.
To me, anything under 5'8" is petite, but then I'm unusually tall *sigh* so my perspective is more than a little skewed. (On more than just height I must admit.)
zig: answer on my blog in comments.
i am glad to know that i seem just like the sort of person who knows the definition of 'shoulder shoes'.
because i am.
re hate:
honestly, this is what I used to do and it worked.
when it got to the boilover point, i would take my daughters aluminum baseball bat and BEAT THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS out of my mattress, imagining the person in place of the innocent and mostly blameless mattress. this is why there are so many 'take a baseball bat to them' references on my blog. that and shoulder shoes.
ziggi-do-daaaaaa
zigedi-daaaaaaaaay
my my my what a wonderful day
I am going to teach you (in his holiness's absence!) how to do bold and italics and how to put a stat counter on your blog
I'll do the bold and italics now, and we'll do the other before Thursday, ok?
to do bold or italics, you put little brackets around the word you want to highlight
use the pointy brackets, when you do it for real, I'm going to show you with normal brackets (the pointy brackets are the ones that look like less than and more than in O-level maths) (look at the top of the comment box, where it says "you can use some HTML tags" - those brackets!)(on my keyboard they are almost at the bottom, next to the letter m)
for bold:
(b)the word you want in bold(/b)
for italics:
(i)the word you want in italics(/i)
but remember, use the pointy brackets instead of the usual brackets
(the a html instruction seems to be how to links in comments, but I'm not on that part of the learning curve yet!)(who can help both of us with this?)
oh and on hate
I used to be told to do what first nations is advising!
Mariella in The Observer magazine has a useful piece today (I know you get The Telegraph, but send someone out for The O today) not directly linked, but kind of relevant
hope your babies are looking after you well today!!
have a good one
Your HTML cannot be accepted: Tag is not allowed:
:( this is what blogger said to me!
thank you FN - I finally got there! I have been undertaking some research, the consensus of opinion from Himself is that fluffy socks are preferables if I have to wear something!
RE the hate thing - I just don't want to feel it - it's exhausting and a waste of good emotion - it's a bit like a broken heart but there're no good songs to wail too and not half as satisfying. This person is not worth the effort or time involved!
Happy Mother's Day to you too.
First born is in London (nursing a St Pat's hangover I suspect) but sent a FABULOUS bunch of flowers.
No 2 made me breakfast in bed, read to me while I had a bath and painted my toenails green whilst letting me listen to her latest downloads. It's so lovely and I'm so lucky lucky lucky.
http://professionalspinster.blogspot.com/2007_02_01_archive.html
Though I think you now know all there is to know on the subject. Fluffy socks are good too.
Hi Ziggi, I have been away on vacation and what a post to read on the day I get back to blogging. I love these situations. Dishonesty, I think not. I am not surprised at all. I have picked up a $120.00 pair of shoes on sale and paid $7.00.
SEVEN Dollars!? I screamed.
Yes ma'am, seven dollar. They are on sale.
Damn! This is my lucky day.
The best shoe shopping experience ever.
hahaha. the word "stupid" comes to mind as i envision that sales person, but i since i refrain from calling people names, i will just smile.
ziggi, i was surprised you can fly in those shoes. i'll have to tell esther, our resident witch who, by the way, ocassionally drinks to much and lands on the staircase upside down...
Post a Comment