Saturday, September 19, 2015

counting my blessing

My lump has been pronounced officially benign which is good news, although I wasn’t expecting bad. Still it’s very nice to know and I’m grateful to the NHS for their care and attention, even though in the end I was wasting their time. I’m a bit sorry for that really.

However I think I have something else now. I think I suffer from SADS. (Seasonal Affective Disorder Syndrome). I’m seriously pissed off with this season of rain and wind and consequent mud and general shite. It’s dark when I get up, dark when I leave work. Isn’t it supposed to be cold and crisply invigorating in winter? Yes definitely cold, crisp and snow are the order of the day.
Then you can wrap up warm and throw snowballs.
And sprinkle breadcrumbs on the pristine whiteness for seasonal robins.
And get to stay at home building snowpersons because these days it’s too dangerous for children (or is teachers? I forget) to attend school if it’s snowing.
And you can come in rosy cheeked and warm yourself by the real fire in the logburner drinking your free single malt.
However, this endless pissing precipitation has rendered my logs not just soggy but completely sodden, I don’t have a woodshed (there’s usually something nasty in them anyway isn’t there?) so the lovely log burner is extremely difficult (impossible) to light. I’m cold and damp and miserable and my whiskey hasn’t arrived. I’m having to console myself with dangerous wine.
Shouldn’t wet only be accompanied by warm, actually bloody HOT? A bath is nice, a pool when the outside air temperature is 40 degrees centigrade is better. Rain in England is not. Especially not everyday, every night, every f*cking minute. And sodding mud, don’t you hate it? I hate it. When the hell is this global warming supposed to kick in eh? Mediterranean climate my arse.
Grumble
Grumble
Grumble

25 comments:

KAZ said...

Great about the begninity!
I've ordered some crisp sunny days for next week.

The Birdwatcher said...

Good news about your lump. Enjoy the dullness and the grey and the incessant rain. Its part of our wonderful climate. In thirty years or so when we burn under cloudless skies you will look back nostalgically on all this dullness.

dinahmow said...

In agreement about your bump being benign.
Also in agreement about the sodding endless wetness.It's not supposed to be that grim until after the January sales. I think you should write one of your letters of complaint (all that Bank practice must have sharpened your nib)to the Times.

I, Like The View said...

I do (SAD) and I use a light box

works wonders

see your GP

XXX

(good news about lump)

Dave said...

Huzzah about the lump!

Stay out of the sun, or you'll only worry about skin cancer. At least rain and mud are probably good for the skin.

Rog said...

Why don't you have a seasonal pizza when you get in of an evening .....

Rog said...

...deep pan, crisp & even.

Vicus Scurra said...

Or you could have a hot dog. Might put an end to terrible puns.

Cherrypie said...

What a relief about the lump thing.

It is beautifully crisp, clear and sunny up here. Come to Scunny for the weekend. That'll cheer you up x

Romeo Morningwood said...

I would rather live here in the frozen wastelands of Pluto, than tolerate constant, nagging, dismal, dreary, f*cking rain and mud!!!
EGADS I would have more than SADS.

Fabulous wonderful news on your benignmity. Keep those cells in order..
rangy little buggers...
get back in line you little bastards!

Betty said...

Good news on the lump front!

I suffer from Every Seasonal Affective Disorder Syndrome, where you find something to be unhappy about all year round (wishing the weather would get better in spring, hayfever in summer, the nights drawing in in autumn, the bleakness of winter). That way, you get in plenty of practice for being old, when you always have to find something to grumble about.

Geoff said...

"Mud and General Shite"

Wasn't that a WW1 poem?

andrea said...

I know -- we live in the same so-called Mediterranean climate. WTF? It's nothing like the REAL Med, is it? I'm actually on the point of wanting to live on the prairies where the daily high is -20C but at least THERE'S SUNSHINE!

PS The lump may be benign but the news is positive -- congrats.

The Quacks of Life said...

really really pleased for you

Barry Lawrence said...

Well done on the lump news. A perfect Christmas present. Take care.

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Great news about the lump and you weren't wasting their time. Bet they were pleased to have a good result. It was cold and crisp in the Highlands this afternoon, but back to the same old wet murk by the time I reached England. . . I know what you mean. Don't think I could live with it again.

Sopwith-Camel said...

Sorry to spoil things with a bit of practical help, but there are two types of wood which do burn well even when wet: Silver birch and Buddliea.

Sadly, I have now almost exausted my stock of Buddliea, so I too am getting steamed rather than toasted in the evenings. Wiltshire, the Manchester of the South :)

FirstNations said...

excellent news on the lump front! as twere.

we have snow. evil, evil snow. crappy dry snow, misty dusty snow, painful when it lands on your snow. (sounds radioactive, doesn't it?) it's below freezing here and i have to keep baking things so my kitchen stays warm enough to live in. bah.

Zig said...

Kaz - when will they be arriving exactly?

BW - looking forward to the burning!

D - I shall be contacting her Maj's government about the state of wetness forthwith, or even third.

ILTV - will my GP prescribe a lightbox? What is it exactly??

D - rain and mud are not good for my mental wellbeing, bugger the skin!

M - we don't do good kings round here!

V - are you advocating a meat dish??????? **shocked and dismayed**

CP - we did Birmingham instead - it was dire!

HE - hello old thing! Cold is definitely better than wet.

Bets - ESADS eh? how very up market! I bet you know the right way to carry a handbag aswell! ;-)

G - if it wasn't, it shoulda been

D - sunshine? What is that exactly?

P - cheers!

RP - thanx - am thinking of you and Padfoot x

M - How are you enjoying England in the pissing rain?

Sc - I have no silver birch or buddliea - I will grow some immediately!

FN - you sound cold luvie! Stil I expect you're cooking lovely things which is more than is happening round here!

WithinWithout said...

Uhh, what lump? Oh, nevermind. But congratulations anyway.

I think I'd rather have constant rain in winter than constant -30C. But maybe not. At least my wood would be dry.

Where's Himself to warm you up, to dry your wood and start the fire, to lounge with you and/or scrub you in the bath?

kj said...

ziggi, get yourself a hottub and put it outside. you won't believe the warmth you will experience on the coldest darkest of days and nights.

jb and i splurged on a hottub and use it 4 or 5 nights a week all winter.

this is my professional advice to you.

ps congrats on benign

:)

Moominmama said...

I'm glad the lump I didn't know you had is of no concern! Seriously, that is good news.

As for the weather, put a tarp over your log pile and buy some full spectrum light bulbs. sorted.

Romeo Morningwood said...

WW has SAD because his wood is dry.

Anonymous said...

As previously posted, congrats on the lump. You really weren't wasting their time, beleive me. There's a lot of hypocondriachs (spelt wrong :D) out there, someone with an actual lump has nothing to worry about, both moral and karmic wise.

As for SAD, it's a very serious thing so if you think you've got it, go back to the doctors! A light box is exactly what is says, it makes the room it's in much lighter, but with natural light, from what I can tell (I don't have SAD, I've just read about it quite a bit).

Take care!

I, Like The View said...

GPs don't prescribe them, but they do give you handy leaflets all about them

you can get info on the net too, but the GP will have info about the "medically proven" ones, as opposed to the quackery that is about

I have to sit in front of mine for at least two hours before ten every morning for it to have its full effect (usually six to seven and then nine until ten)

you can put them on your desk at work, the light has to go into your peripheral vision - you don't stare at it

mine was about £100 five years ago

a very good investment

:-)

doesn't top up the sun tan tho

:-(