Saturday, September 19, 2015

x marks the spot

The sister of Himself is getting married next year. We don’t see that much of her. Not only because she lives several counties away but she has a busy life and the mutual available weekends are few. Also, I don’t know if they like each other that much. Still, she phoned last week (and I listened in) to say she was contemplating her wedding guest list and she thought, that all things being equal, she wouldn’t invite the ex of Himself and what did he think? Himself, a kind man of tact and diplomacy did not say alleluia I should bloody well think not but said that it was her wedding and she must invite whomever she pleased. However she pressed the point saying surely we would prefer it if Moaning Myrtle was left out of the proceedings. Himself held his ground, feeling (correctly) that he was being drawn into the ‘blame’ position. It was clear that what dear sister required was an excuse to leave MM off the list. But she needed a reason she could justifiably say was entirely and completely not at all down to her.

A slight sweat broke out on the brow of Himself as she continued to question him closely regarding the matter, but he kept his nerve and reiterated that it wasn’t his decision and that whatever we thought, it had no bearing on the guest list. She’s a canny lass though, his sister, and a blame-shifter of expert proportions. She nattered on a bit then confided to Himself that she thought Ziggi would prefer it if MM wasn’t there, because she (not me, MM) can make things very awkward and Himself found himself saying that he didn’t think I was thrilled by the thought. And just like that the weight of blame dropped straight on to me, because that was enough for dear sister, she had the excuse she needed.

Oh in that case, she said, I understand your feelings exactly I wouldn’t dream of inviting her if it will upset Z, I’ll just tell MM that you feel it wouldn’t be fair on Z after all she is your legitimate wife now (how I kept from making my feelings known at this point is entirely due to the fact that this conversation was going on in the bathroom and I was in the bath and Himself pushed me under). Hang on a minute! says Himself but the line had gone dead.

Today, when we dropped off the children of Himself, MM launched herself like a spitting cobra, and announced to us, and anyone within about 5 miles, how we had no right to stop her going to the wedding and furthermore we had (apparently) objected to her visiting, and being visited by, any of Himself’s family (thanks dear sister, why waste a good excuse on just the one item eh?) She was not interested in hearing anything Himself had to offer by way of feeble explanation and I kept quiet in case I was tempted to point out that it is in fact His family; and also I only thought of all the clever, pertinent, witty, cutting, things to say once we were safely on our way home.

Families eh? and another bloody wedding, I’m sick of them.

15 comments:

The Birdwatcher said...

Just survived two family weddings. Actually they were okay. But any sort of family get together is a nightmare. Its one of the reasons I live along way from mine. Still look on the bright side it will soon be Christmas and time for some mega rows.

The Quacks of Life said...

ah the joys of being single!!!

dinahmow said...

Ahh, yes! The familiar sound of discordant gongs.
Cheer up, Ziggi, you had a lovely wedding and if they are of the spiteful persuasion they'll soon be picking on some other poor sod!
P.S. I could lend you a couple of Black Panthers...

Barry Lawrence said...

What a rapscallion of a sister-in-law! Hey presto! Molehill into mountain!! I would just tell her AND MM (through Himself?) that there must have been crossed wires and you have no objection.
Then it's down to your sister-in-law, as of course it should have been in the first place, and if she complains that it will make her look as if she was lying you can just say that's her fault for putting you both in such an awkward position.
If this plan results in your sister-in-law vowing never to speak to you again, don't worry - mine did the same!

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

I strongly suspect MM would have found any excuse to have a pop, regardless of what sister-in-law said. Probably better it was now rather than at the wedding.

You have my sympathy. The first Mrs Malc was/is an MM. There's not a lot can be done there. Some people are just unpleasant.

Maybe Himself (who sounds a top bloke BTW) should have a straight word with his sister though. That was way out of order.

Betty said...

A pity that the wedding isn't sooner. I could've swapped places with you and *accidentally* had a swipe at the sister in law with my cast ...

I, Like The View said...

I hate the way that one never thinks of the witty and pertinent comments until half an hour later. . .

CH's sisters HATE me big time right now and I can't see that situation improving - still, at least it means I don't have to worry about something interesting to buy them for xmas

chin up - you have Himself, and he loves YOU, what more could a woman want?

xxxx

Geoff said...

Aren't you glad you're "legitimate" now and can join in all the fun? There should be an opt-out clause, i.e. "we are marrying for love, not to take sides."

Moominmama said...

Egad! It's just as well the sister lives several countries away. Are you sure that's far enough?

Romeo Morningwood said...

Why are inlaws so weird?
Himself needs to tell his bloody sister that he has a bloody new life with you and that MM can just send her bloody toaster in the mail!

RSVP that you are terribly sorry but you had already made plans to rub lard on the horse's boils that day.

andrea said...

I was thinking "how clever of the manipulative sister" until MM showed that People Talk. How dare they.

FirstNations said...

ah, but this is an opportunity to become official family punchbowl turd! start immediately! never tell another white lie to these people and say exactly what comes to mind, unvarnished, at volume, whenever asked to comment on anything in their presence forevermore. shoot from the hip and load heavy. make no bones, pull no punches. soon the roar of the bullshit will die down as everyone learns never to question ziggi as ziggi WILL ANSWER.
seriously; this strategy worked WONDERS with my ex-inlaws.

tom909 said...

Families eh? Ziggi, hang in there. Things do improve with time - I get on ok with my first wife now - it's only been 25 years.

Zig said...

BW - I can't wait for Xmas . . . to be over anyway!

Pete - there are certainly upsides.

Dina - sigh trouble is it impacts on the offspring of Himself and that's just not fair - send in the calvary!

Reg - that would be too much to ask and too delightful an outcome! I may change the habits of a lifetime and start praying.

Zig said...

Malc - for some the glass is not only 1/2 empty but cracked and leaking!
Himself is too good for me, luckily he hasn't noticed ;)

Betty - thanks for the offer - perhaps you could have it cut off carefully and rent it out?

ILTV - I've never appreciated the saying 'you can pick your friends but not your family' more than now! Most of Himself's family heartedly disapproved of me anyway, I was that 'Devil Woman' - I rather liked it that way!

geoff - I'm afraid that not taking sides as seen as siding with the opposition - I tell you that 'legitimate' crack nearly had me annoyed!

CB - shame it isn't countries and is only counties.

HE - yes why are they? Tell me do!

Andrea - I think there was so not so subtle point scoring going on that unfortunately landed on moi - I should be used to it by now really!

FN, you know what - I think I'll do just that, I may even enjoy it, in fact I'm sure I will. I'l start by telling the potential bridegroom (if I'm asked, obviously) that he should run for the hills now!

Tom - I have always got on with my ex husband, he's a great bloke, fab father and I'm glad I moved out before I had to kill him.