Saturday, September 19, 2015

now I see you

I saw something this morning that really made me smile.
Sometimes, as I meander my way to work of a morning, I vary the route by nipping down one of the tank tracks that criss cross Salisbury Plain. It doesn’t really save any time because you have to go relatively slowly over the bumps and ruts otherwise the tendency is to lose your exhaust pipe. I think once was forgiven, twice caused a thinning of the lips and a certain amount of tut tutting, three times would probably be pushing my luck.
Anyway, as I was wending my merry way,
I noticed a troop of soldiers obviously on ‘manoeuvres’ crawling amongst the shrubs and ditches. They were togged up in complete camouflage gear complete with faces covered in green and brown face paint. I wouldn’t have noticed them at all, obviously, if wasn’t for the fact that they were also wearing Hi Viz jackets.

I love it - Health and Safety at its best.

7 comments:

Ces Adorio said...

Ha!

Would that be an oxymoron?

LOL!!!

dinahmow said...

Thankyou.This has been added to my fund of absurdities.

Unknown said...

Your post reminded me of a scary incident when I was away at the University. I was living in the dorms and a sitting in the kitchen window when I noticed something moving around in the bushes below...then I noticed a lot of 'bushes' moving around all over the place. Suddenly the place exploded with guys dressed in military fatigues and carrying what I took to be real (and quite frightening) guns. For some daft reason they'd chosen our little corner of the world to host a bit of military training exerise. It scared the bajeebers out of us.

However, none of them were wearing flourescent coats that I can recall.

Carmenzta said...

Sheesh, those military types!

FirstNations said...

viz as in VIZ magazine?
i was given a copy of the Roger Melly swearatharus one year as a christmas present! (thats where i found out what 'beef curtains' are. dang.)
your military is obviously much cooler than ours.

FirstNations said...

...high visibility, wasnt it.
*slinks off blushing*

Zig said...

Ces - most certainly - complete oxymorons!

D - it made my day :)

P - you get used to it round here - I've even found a live round in my field and the upstairs of one of the cottages in the high street was taken out the other year - no-one hurt thank goodness. When they're firing close by, the whole house shakes.

C - hiya! The H&S executive, who run the country now, would probably fine them all heavily if they didn't comply with the regs - complete bollox isn't it?!

FN - hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h ha ha ha O god - excellent - I love you for leaving your original comment there! Visibilty indeed - you know those dayglo greeny-yellow waistcoaty things that the insecure wear so they're not missed.