Saturday, September 19, 2015

men . . . where would we be without them? - please don't answer!


I am awaiting Big S, Little S and TT to do something wonderful in the bathroom. I have made my vanity unit with no help at all from anyone except a large G&T (couldn't make the bat-torch work Dave and I found it wasn't related to how big I was - phew) and the fireplace is on hold until Himself gets over the idea of taking the roof off the house to build the downstairs upstairs so he can enjoy an uninterrupted view across Salisbury Plain. This will obviously involve moving the fp upstairs and his logic is there is no point in putting it in downstairs if we’re going to move it upstairs. The fact that such a plan may never in fact happen doesn’t seem to have put him off living with a half finished fp and a log burner sitting in the middle of the living room.

Anyway for sanity’s sake I decided to list the things I’ve learned from men for something to occupy my mind (and because other people have done it and I have decided to nick their idea). I was only going to put the stuff I’ve learned from those that I am / have been emotionally attached to, but that would make a very small list. I’m plumping therefore for men in general.

1. how to drive a motorcycle and then a car
2. how to calculate specific heat capacities
3. how to fire a shotgun without falling over
4. the off-side rule
5. baking
6. how to drink a yard of ale
7. patience

Yep, I think that’s it. No wait a minute . . .

8. how to spell unnecessary! (thanks WW)

10 comments:

Ces Adorio said...

Ziggi, you learned baking from men? They must have been chefs? I love reading these home improvement projects. They are so exciting, I hear myself cheering you and praying for your success!

Unknown said...

So you've found men to be unnecessary? Unecessary? Dang it. You've found you don't need them? :grin:

WithinWithout said...

So does this mean you and I are not emotionally attached?

Just think of me as your own personal servant spellchequer, kind of like England's exchequer.

I consider it quite significant that of the eight things you have learned from men, I am the teacher of one of them.

Carry on, then. And leave the housing projects to Himself, he seems to have it well in hand.

WithinWithout said...

Oh, and Pam:

No catcalls from the cheap seats, please.

P said...

You learnt patience from a man??

Dave said...

With a hammer like that you had no need of me.

Stace said...

Perspective: I rather think she taught herself patience, as a RESULT of a man. :)

Ziggi: Your place is looking a bit like I WANT ours to look... We're waiting on an insurance claim to be processed before we head to Ikea to re-furnish our unit. I'm all impatient for the couch I want!

Zig said...

Ces - Himself can bake the BEST cake - I haven't actually learned how from him to be truthful, what I've learned is to appreciate him and his cakes - he can't cook anything else tho!

Pam - actually yes - not very necessary . . .

WW :)

P, Stace is correct Patience is learned because there are men and you have to deal with them - killing them all would take too long.

Dave - I have my very own tool kit - my X husband gave it to me - I don't think too deeply about that.

Stace - Congratulations on being Mrs! I hope your dreams come true :)

WithinWithout said...

Ziggi:

I think we have UNNECESSARILY far too long for another post...

Keshi said...

lol!

Keshi.