I sat outside to escape and noticed a slug trail on the slabs by my back door. It’s actually very pretty glinting sliver in the morning sun. From point A where it starts to point B where it finishes is about 6 inches as the slug flies, but the trail itself meanders in an isletted circle across the barren slabs and is, oooo, about a couple of meters long?
What I want to know is this.
How did the slug arrive at point A as there is no trail leading to here?
Where did he go from point B?
What was he doing circling round like that taking 2 metres to go 6 inches for no apparent reason?
Stupid slug.
15 comments:
I reckon he was dropped by something and then when he had wiggled his two metres, he was picked up by something else and flown away for breakfast...
I wish someone would fly me away for breakfast!
Maybe the mucus trail stopped because it did not need it from point 0 to A and from point B to X? I don't know but we have an overabundance of those gastropods and snails in the later part of spring and summer. I hate those pests. My ideal is not to see any slime at all.
P.S. In 1989 you were a little girl(in photo with dogs) ??? Ughh!! I feel ancient.
ha ha ha ha ha - Oh Ces I wish! That's my daughter - Ziggi was my first dog (the black and white collie cross)
MM - I think you may be right however we must have an abundance of butterbeaked birds because that wasn't the only trail that stopped and started - surely they can't turn the slime on and off?
blew out of a tree or off the roof; picked up by a bird?
they like to eat the invisible algae on stones, i know that. and i like to pick them up and throw them into the neibors' yard; i know that too.
It took a taxi. Obviously. And meandered around a bit waiting for it to come back and pick it up. Hope it didn't get dropped off on your hostas.
C X
FN - blew?? ha ha ha ha ha flying slugs - to date I have never seen a wind blow slug but I shan't walk round with my mouth open just in case! I put salt on them and watch them suffer - I may save a few for the cauldren though if I'm having guests :)
CHERRY!!!
You're alive! Lovely to 'see' you.xx
I have no hostas whatever they are - I did find a big orange (and I meanBIG) slug in the fish food though - I put my hand in all unconcerned and had to be sedated by several large gins afterwards.
I concur with muttering..picked off by a hungry bird or else he jumped when he saw a ladyslug 'shaking her junk' as she wiggled by.
Apparently males fling tiny "darts" of sperm in the direction of their mate's genitalia...
hence the term have a 'fling'.
HE I bow to your superior knowledge on all things but that was something I think I may have been happier not knowing about - slug sperm hovering in the atmosphere just doesn't do it for me
YEUCH!
Maybe he was performing some sort of ritual for some kind of slug holiday. He is maybe a solitary practitionor and learned how to do the rites by correspondence and didn't do it exactly right.
Yes, I think he was calling The Great Slug in the Sky.
but why did you say it was a "stupid slug"?
BBE - please stick with your job - from your post about it you obviously have a real passion for it - read / reread your books if it makes you feel better and it rekindles your original desire - I really think you should stick with it and I am completely and utterly unqualified to say so!
Jane - perhaps it wasn't a slug at all - ? ? ?
ILTV - stupid? It reminded me of myself, always doing things the long way, the hard way, making things more difficult and meandering through life with no direction and then probably getting picked off at the end without actually having achieved more than 6 inches and then most likely in the wrong direction.
hmmmmmmmmmm??
not the best time to have answered that I think - but heck I shall leave it there and see if tomorrow I'm feeling less rudderless and apologise then!
I would have thought 105-year-old witches would have known such things.
And that in fact, at some point, you would have turned yourself into said slug and experienced this first-hand.
My theory is that the slug's trail from wherever to Point A, as a defence mechanism, had dissipated long before you appeared.
As with any natural being, said slug meandered back and forth rather than going in a straight line, searching for food, a mate, what-have-you.
At roughly about dawn, a robin or other such bird spotted it, alit on the slabs (whatever they are) and promptly gobbled it up for breakfast.
Bingo Bango Bongo. Another tale in the complicated yet simple laws of nature in the yard of a confirmed witch. (oh, but a very, very, good witch)
which just goes to show that really we need to do things NOW
we live to NOW
we need to make ourselves happy NOW
because if we don't we're just some bgger fella's breakfast
(what was that you were saying Zzzzzzzzz about the wrong time to comment!)
Post a Comment