While we were away we had ‘Turkish’ breakfast every morning sitting out side in the morning sun looking at the Med. It consisted of tomatoes, hellim cheese (halloumi), cucumber, black olives, bread, jam/honey and a boiled egg. It was delicious; although one day I had to ask for another olive because I didn’t want a sailor I wanted a rich man.
The question is though, why doesn’t this taste as wonderful in Wiltshire?
Pass the toast and marmalade . . .
Talking of which, I forgot to tell you the follow up of our inadvertent stay at the Brighton Hilton. In the morning at breakfast there was this big basket of squishy rolls and lining the back of it (and looking very attractive) was a row of French sticks looking a bit like organ pipes. I fancied a nice crusty bit of baguette so I took a loaf only to find there wasn't a bread knife (honestly these cheap places) - I whipped a knife off a nearby table and cut up my loaf.
It was very very stiff and crusty!
"I think this a tad stale" I muttered to Himself.
Anyway I buttered it up and took a bite - it was foul!
Really salty and very chewy.
I had a long time to think whilst I chewed . . .
"You know" I said, "I think I'm eating their display!"
12 comments:
Maybe it happens every day. The staff set it up and they have a bet on to guess how many people end up eating the display baguettes. Face it, they don't have the most exciting job in the world, do they?
Did it, er, pass through your system without any problems?
Yes, I'd certainly be running a sweepstake on which guest would be first to eat the display bread, the plastic fruit etc.
Maybe you should have tried some of the wax fruit to help it down.
There are rules about breakfast, just as there are about beer. Porridge in Scotland, huge slices of sausage and cheese in Germany, churros and chocolate in Spain, maple syrup in America (weirdos) and so on.
So it is that I'm forcing myself to get used to Tennents lager and McEwan's 80 shilling. There's no Guinness here. . . help me. . . someone.
Sympathy. i did that once with a bavarian-style pretzel at a bakery here.
What the hell is Helium Cheese?
It must have been created by the Hinddenburg's Chef.
Did you happen to notice if the kitchen staff were peeking out and killing themselves laughing..
"OMG! Check out Room 307 at Table 6! Hey Mark aren't those the 'gettes you back made in '98? Didn't we laminate them?
OMG look she's still chewing.
Get the camera..this will be great on YouTube!"
People who display artificial baps prominently are asking for trouble.
I suppose Stiff and Crusty were 2 members of staff?
i once mistook a side dish for a display and refused to touch it...it was a beautiful thing, a lovely, big wild mushroom, orange and sienna, all frilled and fluted and convolute? it looked like an exotic coral. I thought it was a centerpiece. of course i was on a date. of course.
such a doof.
Betty - you would get great odds on me, as each day goes by I get simpler, keeps me awake nights worrying!
Ah well Dave some of us are as daft as we look.
Malc - you should try Wadworths round here! (Freddie's packed!)
CB - it's the moment when you realise and want to just disappear that's worse isn't it?!
HE - Helium cheese is very light and squeaky and often used at birthday parties for decoration/displays/sandwiches.
Murph - and people who display long hard stiff ones that are all a sham are even worse!
FN - at least you didn't look as stupid as you would have eating it, if it had been a display. Actually you strike me as not the person who would pass up a nibble on a passing mushroom display or no display - who was the 'date'?!
Your reply to Murph made me choke on my wine so I can't comment now!
Wadworths!!! I bloody wish!
I take you've found a home for Freddie. If not, get in touch as we could do with a companion for Xena the moody Welsh Cob. . . seriously.
A great uncle of mine was left to fend for himself at my grand parents. The only thing he could do was boil and egg. So he duly went to the hen house and collected one and boiled it. He gave up on it after finding that no matter how hard he smacked it with the spoon he could not crack the shell, and went to the pub instead. When my gps came back they found that he had boiled the china egg that they used to encourage the hens to lay.
Dinah - wine drinking in the morning! (I know I know you're round the other side and underneath, but still the sun's not passed the yard arm here where it counts!)
Malc - things must be desperate if you think 6x is worth wishing for - anyway by now you should be brewing your own single malt shouldn't you? (Ah, Freddie, he's vicious and curmudgeonly and would kick and bite the sh*te out of a moody mare.)
BW - it's reasuring to know I'm in good company!
Post a Comment