Saturday, September 19, 2015

I love my car (I hate His)




My car is a two-seater-droptop-go-fastley. It has 6 gears, leather seats and a rev counter.
All these things are important to me. It does have an inexplicable button and it has no storage capacity at all. It can barely fit in a small passenger, but I only have the spare seat for my hand bag so who cares.


I spent every penny I had on it the week before I moved in with Himself. This was so I knew he wasn’t after me for my money, and he knew what type of person he was getting.


However it was more than he brought. He came to our relationship in the clothes he was standing up in and a clapped out Montego Estate (he insisted on calling it a Rover - pah!)

Anyway my car has a well tuned mid positioned engine and most importantly it has rear wheel drive. When I want to accelerate around a corner, and I frequently do, the front wheels can concentrate on steering me there and the back ones on pushing me there. Except in the case of too much ice, this is a system that works brilliantly and ensures I stick to the road much like glue and practically on rails. I try not to speed through the villages, but the bits in between are fair game and joyously bendy. I hammer up and down the gearbox and stamp with glee on the pedals. I have set times that I have to make it betwixt the 4 villages on my route to work. On a really good day I can do the journey in 18.532 minutes but this does have a negative impact on the suspension because there is one point where all 4 wheels are off the ground - it is my broomstick and we like low flying.
I love it.

However, within 6 months of living with me Molly Montego finally blew her last gasket and Himself went in search of a replacement. Baring in mind we were down to 2 seats and 4 children he bought a car with 6 seats. This is the only good thing about it. If travelling with 4 children can ever be said to be a good thing. Not only is it the ugliest car on the planet but when I have to take His car to work, it takes over 20 minutes!

To add insult to injury it’s diesel, but worst of all the drive wheels are also the wheels that steer, or more accurately don’t. (I can’t believe a man thought up front wheel drive - he must have been drunk or wearing an anorak at the time.) It’s happy to pull you along the straight bits but refuses to turn a corner no matter how hard you turn the wheel. The understeer is enough to encourage religious fervour as it fails to turn without taking up the whole road and insisting you really wanted to go straight on.
It’s also falling to bits.
I hate it.

14 comments:

I, Like The View said...

what's an inexplicable button?

I think I'd quite like one of those, whatever it is

:-)

FirstNations said...

my dream car was a 1971 ford ranchero with a transplanted 424. break loose? honey.
had a gas pedal SHAPED LIKE A FOOT.
oh yeah.

I, Like The View said...

@>-->--

that's the rose you wanted for V Day

(colour the @ red, the -- green and the > some other shade of green)(works a treat!)

:-)

Dave said...

I now know what you mean (except mine hasn't got the magic button).

Mangonel said...

My BRG MG, chrome bumpers, wire wheels, walnut dash, black leather seats, had a flickety switch which gave it like a zillion extra gears.

When it was going at all, that is.

Then I fell in love with reliability. *sigh*.

Romeo Morningwood said...

Oooh I felt like James Bond as you described racing through the countryside...((sigh)) as I stare out of the window at the ubiquitous Minivan.

Winter driving was a blast back in the 70s when huge living room sized 8 passenger gas guzzling 4 ton rear wheel drive 8 miles per gallon landyachts were mandatory here in the Colonies.
How I loved crashing though snow drifts, doin' fishtails at every corner and doughnuts (360s) in the high school parking lot WOOHOO!

dinahmow said...

I refer to our car as "Sherman." And I refer to designers of parking lots as something much more rude. I have almost perfected the reduction spell for my besom, but may need to enlist your help, Ziggi.

Zig said...

Hello dear friends blogger seems to be with me at the mo so I shall visit you all as quick as I can and say something!

I have been there lurking but I no not what I do when the gates are closed to me.

By the time I notice someone's left them ajar all the wondous things I had to say have vacated my small mind and also it's usually several posts too late!

:::sigh:::

Zig said...

BTW Mango I had an MGBGT (1981)with that switch - that's not it!
This is a button with a cross on it and when it's pressed nothing noticable happens, when it insn't pressed it has a red top which is disconcerting so I keep it in!

I, Like The View said...

I have been in my car three times since I read this post

have searched hard, but have not found an inexplicable button yet

Dave said...

A button with a cross, and a red top? It's the cardinal button.

Either that, or the Spanish Inquisition - and no-one expects them.

Zig said...

Dave that's it!
although it's more of a X than the cardinally type. Does that still count? I wasn't expecting a Spanish invasion but just to be on the safe side should I keep it in or out?

ILTV I wish I had the brains to tell you how to upload some music - I so want to hear your band!

I, Like The View said...

it's a kind of Committments style band, Z - soul and motown; mixed with some other stuff; I'll post a set list sometime. . .

not everyone's cup of tea - but very very dancable! (if you like dancing to soul motown and other stuff)

in the meantime, if you're quick. . .

I learnt to drive in my bother's Mini Cooper, it was so old and so knackered that the keys used to fall out of the ignition when you went over about 35mph

have a strange hankering for a car like that now I'm in my dotage!

Zig said...

ILTV - do you think we hanker back to our past? Is it a midlife crisis thing? My first car was a Triumph Spitfire - then I had the MGBGT, then I had sensible housewifey, children (with cello) carrying type mobiles. As soon as I wasn't a housewife anymore (although I still had 2 kids - go figure!) I reverted back!

You'd have to have one of those BMW minis now though and that would be BAD!