Saturday, September 19, 2015

how green is yours?

The pond had become so green you could stand a stick in it and the fish were fast evolving legs.

"I shall clean it" declared Himself.

"Good oh" said I.

We kept out of his way in case we were roped into the project but after a couple of hours the sounds of groaning and moaning became just too loud to ignore. I peered round the side of the house and he was emptying the pond with a bucket, clutching his back and looking very weary. The water level had dropped by about 6 inches. (It's a big pond)

"See the (useless) filter" I said, "that's driven by a pump"

"So?"

I seriously thought about leaving it at that and going away again, but hey, this is a clever man and it's not often I can show just how completely dim he can be.

I pulled the pipe off the filter and turned on the pump. The water poured down the garden.

"Will you marry me?" he said.


It took most of the day to empty it and then a plaintive

"Eh? How do I get the fish out?" was heard.

Kids, no matter the age, love to get wet and mucky. We were in that pond faster than a fast thing.



It was dark before we'd caught the last fish. I think there were more than 60 in there.

We left the hose filling it over night and this morning I awoke to the sound of overflowing pond.

Before anyone else was up I had the fun of rehoming the fish. As I put them in one by one I named them all. I'll save that for another post though. We had 3 fatalities and so will naturally be having a formal funeral and wake later today.

But look at this:


You can see fish - that's the first time this year!

16 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

You can see the fish? I'll send the heron round.

WithinWithout said...

Mine's green, a very green green.

What a fascinating and beautiful pond and what beautiful daughters and fish you have.

And I daresay Himself is not so dim...his moans and groans accomplished the goal of recruiting females to help him.

Don't be Koi -- can the fish stay outside in that pond year-round? It's a beautiful thing.

And I trust you said yes, again, to Himself.

Romeo Morningwood said...

"Oooh fishy fishy fishy fish
that went wherever I did go."

I am insanely jealous because
A: your 'pond' is large enough to accomodate Walrus and
B: la-di-da, fancy-schmancy enough
to have been used to film one of the Roman Orgy scenes from the Movie Caligula and
C: I cannot have real fish in my pathetic little pond because the bloody Raccoons would have a field day devouring them and
D: you prolly can keep it going all year long.

dinahmow said...

A fish pond, the witch calls it. It appears bigger than the swimming pool my neighbours have had installed.
Oh yes, I see you stayed behind the lens, no doubt keeping that wound well clear of fish pee germs!

Zig said...

V - have actually never seen a heron round here - I think they have to wade in . . .

WW - the fish only come in to watch the footie otherwise they stay outside all year.

HE - racoons! I'd love a racoon, they look so cuddly, more cuddly than a fish.

D - I was in there!


There is a sequel to this sorry tale - later that morning (was it only yesterday?!) our neighbour from below came round to enquire why his garden was covered in green slime. ooooops! Guess what we'll be doing today then?!

I, Like The View said...

POND? that's a swimming pool!

see, even HE and Dynamo agree with me she adds, having read everyone else's controbutions! (Mr Escape is Canadian and we know all about the size of their ponds, I mean pools; and she lives in a hot place where people know about these things too)

you're well posh you are, ziggi

when smallest person had a pond we used to have to put this chemically thing in it to make the tap water back into real water (even tho the green stuff grew quite happily in the tap water), rather than the stuff that comes out of the tap - but you live in the country where it's probably proper water anyhow (or - I speak from experience - perhaps you have your own private spring!)(ours was from the Willy Estate, so we had WIlly water when we lived in the country)

I have a very similar story

next time you're really really bored, I'll share it with you!

have a lovely day (did you say yes when he asked you to marry him?)(I mean, again)

:-)

I, Like The View said...

AND IT'S GOT A FOUNTAIN!!!

(oh, BTW, have just had a quick consultation with the All Black coach, and we're in for massages of various types if you're up for that)(giving them initially, but who knows)(only don't tell dave or he'll get all upset on us)

;-)

Dave said...

I saw the fish when I was there in June. You're telling porkies. Or I'm halucinating, due to the fever.*

Tell the neighbour that the green stuff is good for the plants. Full of nitrogen.

*I have rung the surgery. They are closed. The number they give on the answerphone is for medical emergencies only, and mine isn't. So I'll ring in the morning and be told I can't have an appointment. Is this OK with you?

Zig said...

I,LTV - is not, am not! What I am is up for a massage with the ABs!

Dave - you will be able to confirm that is was greener than a green thing and if you saw fish you have keener eyes than the rest of us!

Dave said...

Is your brain getting addled with age? You pointed out some fish to me (we were standing at the top left side of the pond in your picture at the time (I have a photographic memory, sorry)).

Admittedly the water was a pale lime, not a little unlike absinthe.

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

That's some pond Zig - it's a mini lake!

FirstNations said...

oh fishie, fishie, fishie FISH-
and it goes

wherever I

do go.


think if they had grown legs, though...you could have trained them to course foxes!
*drops another hit of lsd*

dinahmow said...

Ooh! Masssage with All Blacks. Now ILTV's raised nostalgic Kiwi feelings.
Oh, and racoons have very sharp pointy bits, like possums.

Moominmama said...

now that you've got rid of the algae, i suggest investing in an algicide to keep it under control. you can buy safe ones that won't harm your fishies.

Chris at 'Chrissie's Kitchen' said...

What a marvellous pond, Ziggi. I love the raised ones that you can lean on languously while sipping large G&Ts and hypnotically watching the fish. Ours is an 'au naturel' type effort - so 'naturel' that the naturel has quite taken over & it's a complete mess. Plus no fish because there is a heronry up the lane. So lucky you!

Ces Adorio said...

Very lovely. I like the big diamond ring on her finger and the pink pajamas. This is very cute!