Saturday, September 19, 2015

ho ho ho and a bottle of rum

I love New York.
I wouldn’t want to live there mind – not enough mud, but for a few days it’s splendid. The art galleries and museums are incredible and the buildings are so very tall. With the dollar still sliding ever downwards it’s very good value too, all except the yellow cabs who rip you off as soon as they realise you’re not a native. The food is good, the people are not over obsequious and never tell you to have a good day now; and despite their crap weather it’s a place I’m glad I’ve seen and would be happy to return to anytime (but preferable between April and October).

The Caribbean
I could live there, oh yes. Despite the quantity of rum you’re obliged to drink at all given opportunities, it has everything I like. I especially liked swimming with turtles who were very obliging and friendly. I especially liked lying in the hot sun doing nothing. I especially liked getting squiffy with assorted extremely friendly pirates who were entertaining in the extreme, knowledgeable, bright, happy and brilliant sailors. I especially liked the Creole cooking and lack of cutlery. I really liked the volcano too.
AND, I went in a submarine!
Picture from porthole taken by yours truly!
The Ship
Well . . . I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed the sheer decadence of being waited on hand and flipflop almost 24/7. But it made me feel a bit guilty and I didn’t really like some of our fellow travelers too much. Despite there being nothing at all that you could possibly find fault with, there were people (a minority though) on board who did nothing but complain and were rude and miserable. How dare they?!

I did enjoy dressing up every night because usually I chose between suit (work) and jeans/wellies (home) but I couldn’t have done it for longer than 10 days. Don’t have enough clothes for a start nor enough diamonds and I was beginning to feel silly wafting about like that. I found I couldn’t get really worked up over our rugby match in an evening frock and tall hair. Perhaps it takes practise. The food was to die for. I have never ever eaten so well, or so much. Everything tasted like heaven even the things I don’t like. I wish I could cook like that – or better still I wish somebody I live with could cook like that.

I don’t think I’ll rush to do another cruise in the short-term, fantastic though it was, but I definitely want to go back to the Caribbean, oh yes please.

19 comments:

FirstNations said...

oh fabulous!!!!
thats everything a vacation should be! sounds like so much fun...all that, and good weather too. Dang!!

dinahmow said...

Well, you've been frocked-up and pirated and spoiled silly. And now you're back to entertain all of us.

Dave said...

I have to say that nothing that you have described there sounded appealing to me. But then that's what makes life so interesting, isn't it?

You can have my turn on the cruise.

Zig said...

FN - twas glorious, but secretly happy to be home, though I draw the line at saying I'm happy to be back at work!

D - FU&Ped! Great terminology!

D - no, wouldn't do for us all to like the same things.

Moominmama said...

do not Do Not DO NOT go to NYC in July or August if you go back. The city is sweltering hot and everything stinks to high heaven. Everything.

that said, your vaca sounds faboo!

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Pirates of the Caribbean - had to be, didn't it? Yohoho and a bottle of rum. Pieces of eight. Har har har Jim lad.

*stumbles off doing Charles Lawton impressions*

Romeo Morningwood said...

Did you go to Central Park? I have only hovered over it on Google Earth? It's HUGE!
That's as bloody close as I'm going to get for a while.

Your adventure sounds splendid. I would weigh 2,000 pounds if I went by boat.. the FOOD!

Glad you're back safe and sound.

Zig said...

CB - might go in Oct, how's it then?

M - Fifteen men on a dead man's chest
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum
Drink and the devil had done for the rest
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.
The mate was fixed by the bosun's pike
The bosun brained with a marlinspike
And cookey's throat was marked belike
It had been gripped by fingers ten;
And there they lay, all good dead men
Like break o'day in a boozing ken
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

ta daa - drank a lot of rum as it happens!

HE/LT did walk across Central Park (width not lenghth!)it was full of joggers and dogs and men selling dodgy looking hotdogs.

Moominmama said...

October's good. Unpredictable, as the weather flops back and forth between about 10 and 20 degrees, but it won't be stinking hot and the wind will clear the stink out. Bring your 'bolly.

Mangonel said...

We had to cross Central Park in a hurry, and somehow got stuck in with some marathon runners. So the last bit of our dash was accompanied by lots of clapping and cheering, absolutely none of it intended for us. Oh, and we were dressed to the NINES for the opera. Bryn Terfel in Tannhäuser as I recall.

I ♥ NY.

I, Like The View said...

I love New York at this time of year, any time of year in fact. . . so glad you had fun!

as for the caribhoweveryouspellit (never get the rs and bs right) I went once to St Barth's and your description has brought back many wonderful memories - thank you - how much rum did you manage to squiff and did you punch anyone?

I spent ten days on a boat once, in Turkey (raw octopus and green chilli salad everynight); yours sounds delightful!!!

now - how are you going to persuade Himself to upgrade every holiday to the lune de miel level?!

XXX

oh and a ps for Lord WhoeverHeIsAtThe Moment if I may: one time when I was in Central Park I was chatted up by Illie Nasaste and he then took me out for tea and very nice it was too

Carmenzta said...

ZIGGI! Welcome back! Yes, the Caribbean is splendid, no? And New Yawk is the best place on earth to visit with beaucoup bucks. If you're poor don't go there, all the space under bridges is already taken.

Glad you're back, Miss Ziggi!

Zig said...

Mang - running is obviously de rigeur for CP because we were the only one's walking!

Jax - Ilie! lovely, but a bit old for you I feel! Last time we went there was some art expo going on in there and they had all these orange curtains flapping about everywhere, and still everyone was running!

Carmy the Caribbean is just fabulous - I loved all of it, every bit.

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Wasn't that a Pogues number?

Did Himself dress up as Johnny Depp?

Zig said...

he dressed up as him nude

:)

WithinWithout said...

Ziggi, your loveliness...

Welcome back!

I've never been one of those ultra-expensive boat cruises (although did do the ferry over to Newfoundland once on very high seas and laughed at everybody as they got sea-sick), but it sounds as though you had a mahvellous time.

And that picture of you sipping on that whatever-it-was, under the protection of that hat that stooped well over your eyes, was incredibly delicious...

And there was New York, of course...been there a couple of times. An incredible place.

It sounds as though you had a terrific time, all in all, you and Himself.

:-)

tom909 said...

Hello Ziggi, bet your horse was glad to see you back! All that partying while he/she was in her cold stable all alone.

Betty said...

So you complain about being a size ten, and having a husband that buys you loads of presents on Valentine's Day, then you get to go to New York, and cruise around the Caribbean ...

*goes away to weep quietly*

Zig said...

WW hello! Had a great time, Canada is on the list for a visit but not in the snow!

Tom, I'd like to say they missed me but I don't think so, they were well cared for and probably glad of the break from me. Are you going to Sarah W demonstration on 29/3?

Betty, I need shooting - I apologise for moaning, I am ashamed :( . . .

but not that much! ha ha ha ha ha