Cooking
I'm crappier than the crappiest cook ever born. I don't even have the excuse of not liking it, I do quite, although I'm fairly disillusioned with the whole business; never yet having managed to produce anything worthy of being called edible and having been doing it now for nigh on 25 years. I suffer from CIADD (Cooking Induced Attention Deficiency Disorder) and this is a very real affliction!
Which brings me to why I'm boring with this topic yet again. Next Saturday (25) we have a trial by dinner party yet again, and I want to know foolproof (the emphasis on fool) dishes that look impressive that I can produce - PLEASE. There will be only the 4 of us and I have nearly a week to accumulate the ingredients, please help me please please help me.
The last time we had an 'important' (they're all important according to Himself!) Indian gentleman and for some reason that I cannot fathom now, I decided to attempt a curry (I amaze myself at how dim I am sometimes). The recipe called for all manner of exotic stuff but I was only stumped by the coconut cream (I do live in the middle of nowhere, not as middle of nowhere as Malc, but fairly devoid of exoticism, ingredients-wise anyway) so I bought a tin of coconut milk.
At the point of introducing the cream/milk to the concoction, Himself and Raj (the 'important' Indian guest) arrived unexpectedly early and I was so thrown by this I tipped the whole tin of milk into the pan instead of the correct quantity which, if memory serves, was about a quarter.
The various ingredients bobbed about in the liquid like lumpy soup, needless to say my attempts to reduce the milk were equally unsuccessful and rendered the whole conglomeration tasteless. When I finally served it up, Raj took a mouthful and then said.
"My wife is an excellent cook, if you want to know how to cook curry I will ask her to send you some instructions."
Bastard.
Horses
The above photos are of Freddie. The top one last year and the other yesterday. He's a very little horse with a very big attitude. Fern and Suze, my other two, are fairly laid back and can't really be bothered to get excited over anything except lunch (well they are ladies) but Freddie has an opinion on everything. I have to admit that my horsey knowledge is meager, and whilst I strive to do my best for them, it is undoubtedly double difficult for them to understand what I wish of them when I have trouble expressing it in horse-talk.
I have had Freddie and Fern since they were 6 months old. The were born wild on the New Forest and came straight from Forest to me, wild and untouched, (except for being caught and transported which must have been traumatic and frightening for them). They are now rising 3. When I get to each step in their 'training' I go to an expert to show me (and them) what to do. This has worked well - ish. The trouble with experts is they always make things look easy, and indeed, with them there, it is easy, but the minute they've gone it's difficult to remember what to do. I obviously suffer from HIADD as well as CIADD. What I have taken on board is the need to move them around and not them move me. Fern (and Suze, who knew this from a previous life) grasped this fairly fast and I can move them about. They seem to believe that I'm in charge and they trust that I know what I'm doing (and importantly, from a horsey point of view, believe I can keep predators at bay). Freddie has taken much longer to believe in me, and who can blame him? He has very good reason to doubt my ability to save him from tigers. Slowly, slowly we have been working on very little steps. As soon as he understands and does what I ask, I stop. He thinks about it over night and the next day he does it straight away. I have no idea why this is so, but we have come to an understanding that this is the way it's done.
Last week he got something in his eye and it started to weep. Would he let me look? You must be joking. I fetched his head collar and put my hand over his eye, the minute he kept still I took it away and we left it for the night. The next day, headcollar on and he let me investigate. It didn't look too bad so I fetch something to bathe it with and he took exception. I held the cloth to his eye and once he stop jiggling I took it away and the next day I put his headcollar on and I could bathe it. He was as good as gold and the eye was nearly better. The following day I went with my eye-bathing stuff but no headcollar (he'd been so good) and he looked at me as if I was mad and took off. I fetched the headcollar and rattled it and he came running up to me, put his head in it for me, let me inspect and bathe his eye without moving a muscle.
I don't understand this, although I'm not complaining. It seems with the headcollar on, I'm the boss and without it, he is.
and this is where I found her! That's a wall cupboard and it was shut, I have no idea how she got there and everyone denies putting her there. She seemed content enough and was not pleased about being evicted.
16 comments:
I think in Freddie world, all that makes perfect sense. .. step by step, if you miss out a step, it seems to be wrong in Freddie world?
The awkward ones are usually the most intelligent!
Recipe - some boneless chicken breast pieces. A tin of chopped tomato (bear with me). A jar of pesto. A tub of crème frâiche. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil and a blob of butter in a big frying pan. Chuck in the chicken. Stir around a bit until it all looks cooked (won't be on the inside yet, doesn't matter). Add the tomatoes, the creme fraiche and half the pesto. Stir about with some pepper, taste, decide whether to add more pesto, cook for 10 more minutes, serve with pasta and salad or a green vegetable. It is the easiest recipe I know that tastes gorgeous.
Jesus, Ziggi! Go back and edit this post's title to insert a comma after the word cooking. Otherwise, we'll think you're cooking poor Freddie!
M&M is probably right about the intelligent ones being stroppy.
As to the dinner...must it be "cooked" or can you get away with smoked salmon and a really good salad? If they expect hot stuff get Mrs Raj to come over and be your cook!Don't worry, I'm sure that nice FN lady will have the answer.
And before that punny dog gets in...I think Dolce has a new Gabana.
MM it's the fact that he is so happy to be caught that always surprises me! He's very clever, and can work out ALL gate fastenings whatever there make and model, I have resorted to a chain and padlock.
Z - sounds excellent, thank you - I'll do a trial run! How big is a jar of pesto? (Don't laugh, it's the green stuff right? are we talking like a tablespoon full or a tea cups worth?)
D twas supposed to be amusing doncha know. Yes I put my stroppiness down to my massive intellect (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha a ha). Don't think cold will go down well, it has to have courses as well, and all that crap - woe is me.
I actually called her Dolce because she was so sweet as a kitten.
I had a very nice meal the day I stayed with you thanks very much, and no food poisoning or anything. And Freddie hardly bit me at all.
recipe - fish or chicken (works with both)(sorry, either), some tablespoons of Pattak's currsy paste (whichever flavour curry you like), a WHOLE tin of coconut milk (is it the same people coming for dinner?), some sugar, some lemon juice, some white wine vinegar ("some" is the operative word when I cook), some yellow pepper, some coriander; rice; popadoms and chopped up mint/onion/tomato and smashed cucumber/yoghurt; vegetabley type things if you must. . .
(ten mins prep tops for the main; fifteen gentle simmering, which gives you time to freshen up and put on some lippy!)
on the other hand, I could teach you how to make a really divine beef Wellington, that doesn't taste of old boots
;-)
I have a complete fabricated alibi re the cat in cupboard affair
Dave you had a salad! (out of a packet). Plus you come in the 'friends who don't matter what they eat because they shouldn't mind and if they do they're not friends' category. These people are 'important people from Himself's work environment and have to be wined and dined appropriately to their (perceived) station in life' which means he is judged by my failure.
ILTV - there are not enough instructions in these instructions! A new Indian Take Away has opened in the village (I had no idea that the 300 residents (240 of them retired) could sustain such an enterprise) but having tried it out it's not so wonderful, I imagine it won't last long, although we do manage to keep 3 pubs, a chippy and Chinese in business, we're obviously a lazy lot or pensions are not as bad as pensioners make out.
Murph I'll be round to take your statement shortly. That hairy basset type thing was lovely wasn't she? I did like her even though I don't normally go for dogs with short legs preferring a physique much like your own, you handsome thing you.
hey, Z nailed it. thats a good, simple recipe and it does taste gorgeous! it would be nice with some ziti macaroni (the big tube ones cut on the diagonal.)
your horse has a very organized mind! and your cat obviously wants to be near the nice heat rising off the washer-dryer.
Suggestions for a dinner party?
Please can you ask me an easy one - like how to feed the world or solve Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.
I like the story about your lovely cat.
Next time just serve Haggis or Unicorn because nobody knows what it is supposed to taste like?
I can totally relate to Fredster. Trust has to be earned and we are all born with an innate distrust of people who try to pull the wool over our eyes.
Who amongst can understand Cats?
I mean really?
As for Kaz's query, surely by now everyone knows that Heisenberg's infinite matrices regarding position and momentum does not have a clear physical interpretation except when examining the sexual encounters of adolescents.
Most of us are generally satisfied that momentum and position are routinely rigorous and missionary and that by and large the degree of satisfaction of the participants is mutually exclusive.
I hope that this helps.
FN - I don't have a washer dryer!
Kaz - the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is the statement that locating a lost cat in a small region of space makes the momentum of the cat uncertain; and conversely, that measuring the momentum of a cat precisely makes the position uncertain. I thought everybody knew that!
Donn - my thoughts exactly!
And as for Freddie-mental, he's just a teenage boy and who can understand them?
Italian's the way to go.
Minestrone soup. Make it the day before. Loads of recipes on t'int.
Lasagne, not with mince and tomato, but with small pieces of chicken (stir-fried for a couple of minutes in a tablespoon of olive oil first), pine nuts, loads of spinach and a Bechamel sauce which you will have bought in a jar (buy two in case) from the supermarket. Assemble in relaxed fashion during the afternoon, make sure the sauce covers everything and put in fridge until an hour before you sit down. Serve with a green salad and garlic bread.
Jamie Oliver's chocolate pots (stay with me here). Dead easy and must be done the day before because they need time in the fridge to set. Very rich, very luxurious and great with (bought) amaretti biscuits.
AND. . . keep the wine coming.
Wine glasses are fine instead of pots. Coffee cups are fine too.
Tip: when you add the egg yolk make sure you beat it really quickly while you do it - otherwise the egg will scramble.
*next stop Amazon, to buy Jamie O cookbook*
Post a Comment