While he’s away, I’ve been driving Himself’s new car.
I have two main reasons for this:
a) it has fuel in it
b) it has a fascinating on board computer
This computer reports all manner of things that I’ve never known before:
Average speed
28.8 – mind you it was 28.5 on Wednesday so I have improved things, still a bit low, I feel, for a person such as myself who has points (if not prizes) for speeding.
Average fuel consumption
43.5 - my car can’t do that on a good day, down hill, with the wind behind it.
How many miles until you need to refill
228 – at one point it was going up (polishes halo) must be my careful driving.
How many mpg I’m doing at the time.
Anything from 3 to 55! This is the one that bugs me. I can’t keep my eyes off the damn thing. If I’m very careful I can keep it mostly over 50 mpg but that takes all the fun out of driving. Plus of course I’m going to have to explain how I managed to drive into a hedge because I wasn’t looking where I was going. I don’t feel that explaining it was a eco friendly, money saving attempt at driving more efficiently will entirely excuse what I’ve done to his new car, (pride and joy, love of his life), even though, on this rare occasion, it is the truth(ish).
22 comments:
I had one of those on a previous car, and used to spend all my time watching it, and trying to get the numbers up. Putting the car in neutral at the top of a hill helps terrifically, I found.
I suspect there may be a similar device in my new (sensible) car, arriving this afternoon.
I think that's very sad about your car Dave - why have you come over all Captain Sensible?
thinks
Will this sensible car tow a horsebox?
It will certainly tow a trailer - that's why I bought it, as my trailer languishes in the garage, and will be needed for my move next summer.
If you find a nearby motorway and drive the length of it twice at 55 mph you will find that your mpg increases greatly, thereby making you much more green.
I hope that this helps.
My car doesn't have a computer. I did consider buying a "Sat Nav" but when I realised it would cost more than the car is worth decided against it. Anyway if I had a sat nav I would never find my way around.
I'm a bit concerned that somebody who can't tell the difference between a hot and cold water tap is allowed behind the wheel of a car ;)
What are the divorce rates like down there?
Better get that unicycle, girl!
Sid you're right it's now 43.6! I feel so much better and greener I feel able to book an extra foreign holiday on the strength of that alone - thank you, that did indeed help.
BW - I would like a sat nav very much but as I can't tell left from right (don't tell Betty) Himself feels it wouldn't help much but I think they have little arrows that point you in the right direction don't they? (Never seen one)
Betty - HA! Just wait till your oestrogen level drops, you'll be joining the ranks of the dazed and confused sooner than you think!
Murph - we've got one each already so were hoping that's enough. Anyway he hasn't noticed (i've splattered mud and horse poo over the scratches) although he was threatening to wash it - will just have to keep him distracted.
Dinah - I have lost my sense of balance in the last year oh so - I keep falling over for no reason (even when I haven't been on the sauce!) I only stay manage on Suze because she's so fat. Also D - I saw loads of sloes out on my ride yesterday, can you tell me how to make sloe gin?
and whoever deleted their comment - why? I hate that - I'm now consumed with curiosity - I want to know what you put, I want to know boo hoo hoo.
Miles? Shame on you! Isn't it kilometres in the UK now like the rest of the civilized world? :)
(That smiley face meant I was teasing BTW...)
Try not to crash while you've got your eyes on that little bit of techo-kit!
"how to make sloe gin..." Well, not too quickly! Try this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloe_gin
Average Fuel Consumption is 43.5 what?
Ground Squirrels? Pylons? Whooping Cranes? Pounds of Sugar?
How does one pronounce kilometres in your neck of the woods?
Standard Canadian:
"Kill AW mutt erz"
French Candian:
"Keelomeetra"
(really fast, no faster than that)
Deutsch:
"KILLOMETRKANZERSCHPLATEN!
or Hadza-Bantu:
"click click clackcluck click"?
"
mpg = miles per gallon
we don't do kilometres and we still drink beer in pints; (and measure in feet and inches and weigh in lbs and ozs (and stones if strictly necessary) personally I'm still having trouble with decimal currency.)
I miss three-penny bits and teeny weeny sixpences and huge pennies
I drive a car that has all that info - but can I find the radio channel I want to listen to?
So if our surrogate Parents, England and America, don't give a tinker's cuss about schmetric then why the hell are we Canuckistanis pretending to use it?
Our bloody retail labels already have bloody English/French/Metric/Imperial bloody information crammed all over them..it's a bloody conspiracy instigated by the bloody printers bloody union it is!!
I just love that man
:-)
I still have a car with a casette tape player, not a cd player.
The only digital display in my automobile is me waving my middle finger at obnoxious passing drivers who cut me off.
A pic of Himself's car would be nice...
3d bits were great weren't they! :0)
And HE I thought the only thing they measured in Candasteria was the temp (lack of) - I use degrees Centigrade which looks a bit metric but it's the only one I can understand - modern people call it Celsius - I don't know why.
WW do you want a picture of the car or the damage?! His last car had a cassette player this is the first time he's had a cd.
Did you really crunch it? I'm sure it will polish out before he even notices
Post a Comment