Himself is away on a conference, so on returning from a hard day at the school rockface I decided that a long indulgent bath was called for. I turned on the tap for the bath to fill, poured in my best bubbles, and then nipped round checking on the various dependents filling up bowls, dishes, bottles, buckets, toughs, haynets and then stripped off and jumped in. It was bloody freezing. I vacated said bath in the manner of a Harrier jump-jet and cursed my luck that the sodding boiler should break the minute Himself was out the door for 3 days.
I fetched my trusty spanner and took the front and top off the boiler and waved it at it. I tapped a few likely looking parts and moved and wiggled a few levery things, pressed the water button and lo it fired up! I shot into the bathroom and turned on the tap again – still freezing. I pour a glass of wine to help me figure out how the water entering the boiler was obviously being heated but the water coming out of the tap was freezing cold.
I returned to the boiler and turned it off -
and then I turned it on again –
no doubt about it, it was annoyingly roaring into life but obviously failing in its duty to deliver hot water to where it was required.
I sipped my wine and inspiration struck; I decided to try some other hot taps and surprisingly the one in the kitchen was working fine –
must be a problem with the bathroom then I deduced and took my spanner in there for another look.
And indeed it was a problem with the bath tap – I could see it straight away.
I’d turned on the cold one.
There will come a time (fairly shortly I feel) when I no longer realise that I’m losing my mind; it will just be lost and I won’t know about it. Not that long ago the thought of not being in charge of my faculties, such as they were, filled me with dread, now I’m quite looking forward to the not knowing that I’m slowly (slowly? Who am I kidding?!) degenerating before my own eyes (as long as I’m standing at arms length from myself, otherwise I can’t focus).
16 comments:
That's very odd, because turning it off and turning it on again works with my computer.
"I fetched my trusty spanner and took the front and top off the boiler and waved it at it. I tapped a few likely looking parts and moved and wiggled a few levery things..."
Beautiful, simply beautiful.
So...Himself didn't marry you for your tap-differentiation then? Must be another reason!
that was better than any Halloween treats I had last night - thank you!
I've recently learnt how to increase the pressure in the system to stop the boiler cutting out, without phoning a plumber
it's amazing how motivating a cold bath can be to a girl's CV. . .
;-)
;-)
As the young people say.
Well - it must be Halloween - because by an amazing coincidence I did the same thing last night.
Mind you
a) I am very old
b) I'd been away
c) I realised before I got in.
So you can't use me as an excuse!
Didn't know witch was witch, eh?
A plumber would have charged you £120 for what you did so look on it as a saving.
It must have been those pesky kids moving them.
Classic D'OH!
Sheesh, could you dumb it down a little?
If I wanted to read a bunch of technical mumbo-jumbo, and be bamboozled by scientificky jargon, I would peruse Volumes 1 through 759 on NASA's research, engineering, and cheese emporium Blog...
here we go...
page 37...
the calculation results for determining hypothetical trajectory and re-entry probabilities if the Moon is actually made out of Gouda, and not, as the French insist, Brie L'extra Double Crème.
wv:wmgoqPHD...ha
Sorry, but that really made me laugh! The cold tap, after all that tinkering....
V - yes it often works with things male.
R - it's a funny thing but I find just holding a spanner leads to all sorts of things being fixed!
D - entertainment value (at my expense) I think!
ILTV - I can do that to and I can read that dial thingy in bars and no how many I need to make sue it works ok - 1!
D - :-P
K - a) I'm very old
b) I've been away
c) I'm obviously dimmer!
M - you're right! Ha! I can buy some Durbarry boots now and tell Himself that they actually only cost 1/2 as much because of the savings I made on not calling the plumber when the boiler wasn't in fact broken - marvelous!
C - yes! then moving them back while I wasn't looking, except I'm here on my own :(
HE - I feel I have already scaled the full depth (can you scale a depth?) of dumbness and reached rock bottom - to continue I need a pick axe.
H - it's cooking in aluminium saucepans that's caused it.
erratum, as they used to say at school.
ILTV - I have no idea how I managed to write that reply to you which quite so many errors!
I'll have another go!
ILTV - I can do that too and I can read that dial thingy in bars and know how many I need to make sure it works ok - 1!
Any other mistakes?
just live with them!
hehehehehe.
Just thought I'd pop in and say hello as I've got nothing to do again. I see Vicus has likewise been idle.
Sorry to hear about the tap problem. Just toss a coin in future - I am reliably informed that statistically you are bound to get a hot bath 50 per cent of the time.
zigz can you tell me how to change the time on my phone from not BST anymore?
;-)
Very impressive. You should have your own DIY show on the television. I would have drunk the wine and then waited for Mrs BW to come home. Mind you I'm used to cold baths.
Post a Comment