Monday, June 02, 2008

I am torn

Torn between telling you about a) the latest stupid government initiative that has made me spit; b) the clothes I have bought to wear to the assorted stupid weddings we’re going to that nearly but don’t quite match; and c) the fact that I have just eaten a much melted and reset Marathon bar that has been in my car glove box since last September and how ill I’m now feeling.

None of them are particularly inspiring or interesting eh? But such is my life so you’re getting all 3.

a) Without further ado the government is addressing childhood obesity. And this is how they are doing it. They are going to weigh and measure every 5 year old and every 11 year.

That should do it then. They’ll all stop eating junk and start exercising immediately is my guess, especially as the results are confidential.

There are only two drawbacks to this cunning plan that I have spotted (so far . . .) – can you guess what they are? Don’t bother I’ll tell you.

1. They’re not planning on doing anything with this information; it’s for
information purposes.

2. Parents can opt out.



Guess which parents have opted out? You’ll never believe it but all the parents of the fat kids have refused this fine government offer.

b) Weddings – what a bore. I know, I know, I bored you all with mine but I didn’t invite you did I? I didn’t expect you to turn up and be bored to tears did I?

The sister of Himself is finally tying the knot to some poor bugger who despite the fact that he copped a feel of my arse (last weekend) while I was a bit tiddly, I still feel sorry for him. (I pretended not to notice cos to be honest I was a bit shocked, had I been sober I expect he’d have a black eye) (I told Himself who did not sort him out, but laughed like a drain) (what kind of a husband is that?) (I didn’t tell SIL) Still, if he’s doing that sort of thing I don’t think it’s a match made in heaven even though we have to sit through the happy (sic) couple having damn communion on top of bl**dy prayers and hymns and readings and any manner of endless shite.

Worse still the bride has insisted on frock coats and crap for the 4 brothers and groom. Himself is considering appendicitis, self harm, arrest and imprisonment, sectioning, running away, killing himself to get out of it, but has resigned himself to bitter weeping and getting completely off his face and looking a prick. He has promised me anything I want with knobs on if I do the driving. So it’s not all bad.

My outfit though, has hit a bit of a sticky wicket because:- first I bought a cream jacket with a pattern in red around the bottom.
Then I bought some red trousers but didn’t have the jacket with me, so they’re not quite the right red.
Then I bought a cream dress with red flowers on, again without the jacket, and this was a different red again.

Then I saw those shoes and they too are a different red.
Then I saw another jacket (in the sales, in the sales) which was all red and I thought would be bound to go with something but yet again it’s
different!
How can there be so many shades of red? It’s a mystery. I don’t want to go to the stupid wedding anyway.

c) I still feel sick and that Marathon bar was an hour ago now.

Oh yes, addendum to b) I have a new red handbag also – I do believe that the future fashion trend is to wear almost but not quite matching everything and no knickers obviously.

See?!

13 comments:

Dave said...

My daughter is getting married in November and I've got to wear a frock coat.

Perhaps I'll put my red socks on.

Zig said...

but Dave you're used to wearing frocks!

tom909 said...

Ooooooooooooooh I love angry women who swear a lot.
Great post Ziggi - sorry I can't help you with your sartorial problems - a tee shirt and a pair of 501s works at most events. And fingers down the throat for the marathon bar problem.
So actually I am coming up with some pretty good advice here, let me go back and see what the first thing was again, ah yes, obesity. Well I won't put what I think about that, just in case any of my clients are reading this blog.

Moominmama said...

I recommend the flowered dress with the red jacket and the shoes. Reds are notoriously hard to match, but you can get away with slightly different shades if they're not solid and not right next to each other. The red in the flowered dress is in small enough quantity and mixed in with enough different colors to confuse the eye, so it won't clash with the red jacket.

I like the cream jacket with the red pattern, but the red in that jacket is too close to the bottom and will clash monstrously with the trousers. Shame. I like your taste in clothes, tho!

I can't believe the gov't is going ahead with this stupid weighing initiative. Why anyone thinks it's a good idea to gather information that you have no intention of doing anything with it is beyond me. And like you say, the data is useless unless it's universally gathered. Why is this gov't so OBSESSED with data gathering????

Rog said...

If you dress as tastefully as the colours of this post, then ... er....

Anyway, Clash with Cream!? What sort of a gig would that have been, eh?!!!

Zig said...

Tom, I love my 501s I live in them and T shirts (and obviously a gilet as I'm a girly) - I would love to go to the wedding dressed thus - actually, why can't I?

CI - our great weigh-in starts next week but I was talking to another school earlier today who had theres this week and because all the fat kids get left behind in the classroom whilst the others all troop out to the government trained weigher and measurer they are even more ostracised!
Thanks for the clothing advice :) Now come and sort out the garden!

Clash and Cream Murph? Layla's burning with boredom now?

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

It's said that 80 per cent of men are colour blind to some extent, so all those reds look the same to me.

dinahmow said...

In the "posh" newspaper the other day Peter spotted the headline:" Histeria over child obesity is inflated."

I suppose there has to be a chapeerone while kids are being girdled with measuring tape?

Perhaps it's just the silly season...

Zig said...

Malc! That's a bit like saying you can't tell the difference between Man U and (spit) Liverpool!

Dinal - always at least 2 needed in the presence of children! One to weigh one to measure!

I, Like The View said...

I think you ought to wear underwear. . .

. . .and not bother with the rest!

no, really, what Chaucer's scratch said. . .

or just go shopping again, and but the whole outfit all at the same time. . .

it's time rationing was brought back isn't it - all this talk of food shortages doesn't sit well with the stats about obesity (mind you, obviously I only know that because someone very usefully weighed and measured a whole load of children)

WithinWithout said...

Himself LAUGHED when you told him his future brother-in-law fondled your butt? Ugh...

As far as your red-hewed fashion disaster in the making (I really doubt it would be), go with the jeans and t-shirt. Be what you feel!

Obesity: isn't that the way it always is -- make it appear you're doing something about a problem but actually do nothing at all.

Zig said...

"theirs"

sudden bad spelling is a sign of early onset dementia :(

Zig said...

WW yes he laughed - he thought that as I was a little on the inebriated end of the scale that maybe I was mistaken. Like hell. In future I shall have my scary eyes in when I see him and if he tries anything again I'll smack him one. That should caused dissent amongst the whole family :)