Friday, June 27, 2008

Cina gro

For a while now I have tried to be holier than thou* and have bought organic and Fair Trade produce whenever I can. It salves my conscience a bit about the fact that I’m too lazy to be a vegetarian when I really don’t want to eat anything that has a face.

Recently I have gone a step further and now have an organic vegetable box delivered. (Polishes halo*). I’ve just taken receipt of box number 2 and in it was this:

What the **** am I supposed to do with that? I think it might be a type of cabbage but I’m not at all certain!

This is the second time I’ve been sent broad-beans (with their coats on) and the second time I’ve had to denude them. I quite enjoyed that – I felt quite earth motherish, I may have to buy something floaty made of cheesecloth and a pair of clogs. (But not those nasty plastic croc things, yeuch).

The potatoes though, are a nightmare. They are more mud than potato. Even offering to pay assorted offspring has not been enough to encourage anyone to get down and dirty with these potatoes. Do they really have to be grown in something akin to clay and concrete to be organic? I’ve blocked the damn sink now and Himself is not going to be pleased.

I’ve just found out what the cabbage thing is for!

*I may get to heaven yet.


21 comments:

WithinWithout said...

I'm not sure what denude means, but I think you should change your occupation from witch to earth mother.

And your bunny, at least, appears to agree.

Dave said...

Vicus will come and give you a hand with the vegetables. It's what he lives for.

dinahmow said...

Three cheers for Ziggi. She is, apparently, the only other sensible person on the planet (I'm the other one)who can't stand those plastic shoe things.

Now, about the veg...the cabbage thing is a cabbage. You could use it in coleslaw, or slice it very thin, steam lightly, add a knob of butter , squeeze of lemming (sorry, lemon!)and some fresh black pepper. ACtually, you could do many more things, all of which involve adding flavour. Or you could feed Polo.

Broad beans...can't grow them here and can't even buy frozen ones.Can I come to tea?

Potatoes SHOULD come with earth on them. It's the best protection from bruise damage.To clean, place in bowl of cold water to loosen mud, then scrub with stiff brush. Chuck the muddy water outside or you might bloc...oops!

Ponita in Real Life said...

I, for one, happen to like those plastic shoe things. They are very comfy as slippers around the house. I have been wearing them for a couple of years now.

And cabbage is yummy, in pretty much any way, shape or form! At least I agree with Polo on that. I would share a head of cabbage with him any day... he's pretty cute!

tom909 said...

Oh Ziggi Ziggi Ziggi, now you've got me started. And I love fake crocs - they are sooooooo comfortable - I wear then all the time, except when I am working horses.
OK, go for it with the organics - jeez what a waste of a nice looking cabbage, feeding it to a bunny. Still, I guess it'll make him tastier when his day comes. And tell me truthfully - didn't those muddy spuds taste better. Mmmmmmmmm I bet they did!

Vicus Scurra said...

I only use organic electricity when sending these comments.

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

That's a Greyhound cabbage (really), so watch it doesn't chase the rabbit.

Zig said...

WW - nah, I much prefer being wicked!

Dave - most days I find myself surrounded by vegetables of some description . . .

Dinah - yay! - I can't stand those shoes especially when people put stupid little decorations on them! I've only seen them look good on 3 year olds. Still it wouldn't do for us all to be the same would it.
The only cabbages I've come across are round and green, or red and in a jar! This a funny shape and colour n'est par? Coldslaw cabbage eh? I got some carrots as well so I may give that ago.

PG - we'll have to agree to disagree over the crocs!

Tom - the potatoes did taste very good as do all the veg - I have also a funny looking red pepper that is pointy and looks like a big chilli - is it?

Sid - organic currants?

Malc - I believe you - almost!

KAZ said...

Good for Polo - just chuck the rest on the (idealogically correct) compost heap ... and go to Tesco.

Oh and get back to the glitter boob tube and the stiletto sling backs.

WithinWithout said...

And you ARE wicked, let's face it!

Zig said...

Kaz - slingbacks have often been my downfall! I would embrace the whole boobtube look, but boobtubes are only for the boobless, I need considerably more reinforcing! A sparkly whalebone underwired basque perhaps?

WW - only 99% of the time :)

Romeo Morningwood said...

I say put your 'monkey' where your mouth is! All this getting back to nature crap drives me insane.

If people really, really, really, want to get back to nature, then they have to go out and live amongst the other creatures like we did for most of our evolutionary trek.

You need to remember that we were once an integral part of the food chain, as meals for predators!
Screw that!

Zig said...

Ah Donn I do live with other creatures and that's just the ones I'm related too. All primates, including Homo Sap are predators, of course the odd one is picked off as prey but generally only the deserving. I'd rather take my chances with nature, if I end up as dinner at least my life will have been of use - more than I can say about presently.

I, Like The View said...

when I first glanced at your top image, I thought it was a wasp's nest. . .

der

and now everyone else has made all the pertinent comments

so I'll just smile and leave

:-)

XXX

Moominmama said...

Ah yes, that is Cornish cabbage. (Pointy-headed.)

The (incredibly adorable) bunny will help you dispose of it. The function of rabbits is to convert your salad into stew.

mig bardsley said...

I used to buy those veg boxes. It drove me mad trying to plan meals for random veg. And then there were never enough potatoes so I had to go and buy them from the supermarket anyway. And always too too much lettuce. More than the most dedicated rabbit could manage I'm sure.
Maybe we should have got a rabbit too?

I, Like The View said...

*waves hystercially*

I'm back!!! I'm back!!!!

*blushes and scuttles off*

XXX

Gordie said...

I never eat anything that has a face. In fact, I just ate a delicious bacon sandwich.

Gordie said...

And yes to sparkly whalebone underwired basques (preferably organic and fairly traded). I recently recommended a shop called FairyGothMother on Razor Blade of Life. It's in foggy London town, I'm afraid. I doubt they have a box scheme.

Zig said...

Gordie - I want a velvet cloak! (As advertised by that wonderful shoppe!)

Gordie said...

You shall have all your wishes,ziggi dear, and so will I, just as soon as we work out the weird logic that holds this universe together. (Until then, shopping will cheer us up.)