Sunday, October 08, 2006

DIY: actually I'd rather someone else did it

* note wall

This is mine and it's full of liquid gold. It must be because I have just had it filled and I shall be paying for it until 2011, or thereabouts.

So in an effort to keep clean and warm AND eating, I was inspired to buy this:











because I have a lot of these:



(it's the trees we're looking at here)


Sadly this plan (A) has faltered just a little because I don't have one of these:

So I am making one: Plan B
I have purchased some tiles and stuff to stick them on with, and a large piece of black flint on which the logburner can sit, or is it stand. I will have to get some twin-walled chimney type stuff and make a hole in the ceiling and roof, and poke it through.

I am doing this because Himself, who is wonderful in so many ways, is not gifted in the DIY department. Nor is he able to discern those who are. Hence he has left me alone this morning with a tool box and the corner of the living room. I have done this so far:

I don't really know, I have to admit, what I'm doing.
Taking off the skirting-board was easy and fun. The dado rail (is that what they're called?) was trickier but I have cut what's left to the correct size (well maybe) with my trusty junior hacksaw.
I've spent a happy 2 minutes peeling off bits of wallpaper.
Then I got bored and decided to take pictures of what I was doing and put them here - which is easier.

I shall go back to it in a minute and continue peeling off the wall paper so there's none left - that will be an achievement!


So. . . I need help don't I?
* I fell off that wall in the summer and knocked myself out. I was found by my neighbour and taken to A&E where the 12 year old Doctor told me I was a very silly girl, lucky for him I couldn't see straight to deck him.
And later that same day

Well?
are you not impressed?
At this rate I might be finished by Christmas, and all my own work!
1900hrs and I'm signing off for a very large G&T and a long bath. xx

16 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

Please stop showing these scary pictures, some of us get very nervous when it comes to home improvement. Would you like it if I posted photographs of my hobby?

Unknown said...

Yes vicus, please post pictures of yourself taking a nap!

Ziggi, you are a brave, brave woman. I'd be terrified to do a home improvement project on my own, except for painting walls. I'm an expert at doing that, but anything else requires my hubby and his Super Hero Home Project abilities.

I look forward to seeing the end result!

Dave said...

I love DIY, but I'm not sure I'd go to the extent of building a chimney. Do building regulations apply? Do you have to get it inspected afterwards? Are the fumes, should they escape into the house, noxious?

Zig said...

Vicus, you're right, photos of you doing it yourself might be a little too much for those of a nervous and sensitive nature, also who would you get to hold the camera?

Pam, some of us are born stupid and others have stupid thrust upon them, and some of us should be locked away for our own good!
I'm hoping to wheel in an 'expert' at some point to do the hole through the roof bit.

Dave, who cares? Planners, along with English Heritage and Safety Camera Partnership will be first against the wall . . .

Frontier Editor said...

A far, far better job than Halliburton could do >B^D>

Frontier Editor said...

Actually, despite the dread in asking, what is your hobby, Vicus?

On second thought, it can't be too terribly worse than mine . . ..

Carmenzta said...

I love DIY as long as I have someone to do it for me (Do it YOURself). I'm like Pammy, I paint very well but that's it.

Vicus, yes please post some pictures of you chasing kitty cats away from your garden!

And Ziggi, to answer your question, you can put the camera on top of a dresser and aim it just so...

Zig said...

FE - who is Halliburton?
Carmy - I was a fool to start but I am now determined to finish!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the "Vix Pix"

Zig said...

FE - who is Halliburton?
Carmy - I was a fool to start but I am now determined to finish!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the "Vix Pix"

Zig said...

good grief - now I'm seeing double!
good grief - now I'm seeing double!

Frontier Editor said...

Halliburton is the company which has done such a sterling job of helping America win the hearts and minds of Iraqis through high-quality, on-time and under-budget civil engineering and military base facilities.

In case you hadn't figured it out yet, you might want to put down a tarpaulin to catch the dripping sarcasm about Halliburton.

But seriously, you're doing a far better job with your fireplace thatn those Halliburton fuckwits could do organizing a road trip to a warehouse.

Ces Adorio said...

OMG, I just ran into your blog from Cherry Pie's blog and OMG you English women are so brave and bold! I will have to come back to your blog to check the finished product. I wish you the best of luck! Really, I do.

WithinWithout said...

What a hoot, Ziggi.

It's a Dildo Wall, not a Dado Wall.

So DIY is not your thing? Could've fooled me. However, spending two minutes tearing wallpaper down is a bit long before taking a break.

Lovely job on the tile grout, must say. So it's what...an oil-burning stove? Quite the contraption outside filled with liquid gold. Why do we need to "note wall?"

I think this is definitely worth an episode on one of those tacky home improvement shows.

Can you arrange it?

Zig said...

CES - hello- I can't cook
WW - It's logburner for burning logs because the contents of the oil tank are toooooo expensive and will now have last until I'm 108.
I fell off the wall onto my head - it hurt but it accounts for many things that have happened since!

WithinWithout said...

Yeah sorry, Z, I missed that reference and found it when I re-read the post...

Babe in the Woods said...

I think you really do need help. We had a fireplace installed and all we had to do was put the fancy stuff on, like a mantle and such. Well the darn fireplace was "recalled"! Out they came with the fix-it kit and then we got the shock of our lives. All the installation was too close to the fireplace box and if left alone, could start a fire. We had to remove all the fancy stuff, cut more of the installed parts away and start all over. It cost more but we will have our home. It would be great if you looked on the internet to see if your decorative bricks were going to keep that wall from getting too hot. Here in the US an insurance agent can send someone out to make sure all is well.
A free stand fireplace gets scaringly hot. Good luck.