Sunday, September 29, 2013

BLACK as your hat


I write a lot of things down but rarely post because it's usually self-indulgent bollocks about dying and how scared I am.  Which is as boring for me as it is for you.


Usually I keep the fear bottled pretty well and don't dwell on it too often; like my fear of spiders, but when a bloody big one has the audacity to take over the kitchen and won't fit down the end of the Dyson hose, one has to face one's fear head on.  Yikes.

I was forced  so to do, this month, when the reality of my situation hit home because the two people to whom I had grown especially close during our weekly art therapy sessions at the hospice, had the temerity to up and die during the summer, and without checking it was ok with me first. We had become a bonded unit of individual concentration and mutual support and now it’s as if they never were, except in my head.  I know their families must be grieving, but at the hospice it’s a very every-day occurrence  and life goes on, for those of us left, as normal.  Except I can’t seem to find the normal. 

I can only find screaming and beating of my fists against the inside of my head, and a total denial that this is happening to me, even though I know it is.  I’m just not prepared to let myself actually believe it. 

It’s been two years exactly since I was diagnosed and I spent the first year being too ill to worry about dying.  This last year I have not felt particularly unwell because I’m not having chemo again, yet.  The cancer is different now. Originally it was mainly a large tumour with some little friends but they were cut away and the chemo was meant to prevent any recurrence. I had a chance of beating it, but I didn’t, and now instead of a tumour it’s a whole reef of cancer cells spread all over the inside of my abdomen. They will eventually grow so large they will prevent my gut from working. Most women with recurrent ovarian cancer die of a blocked gut. It’s horrible and I’m not brave enough.

And I don’t want chemo again. I didn’t like it and it didn’t like me. It will give me a few more months  (maybe) but at what cost? I will do it though because my daughters want me to and I want to do every thing I can for them, I can’t bear putting them through this.

Some clever dick told me there are five stages one has to go through before you accept the reality of your situation, it’s the same as grieving I’m told. First there’s disbelief, then anger, then bargaining, then sorrow and finally acceptance. I haven’t travelled far in the two years I’ve been living with this.  I don’t really understand the bargaining one. Is it just for people who believe in a loving god that (presumably) dropped them in the shit in the first place?  I’m probably stuck somewhere between Miss Disbelief and Mrs Angry, with a good side portion of extremely easily irritated, hypersensitivity and a dollop of self-pity thrown in for good measure. I am so completely fed up with being me I want to throw myself on my sword but I only have a small Swiss army knife.  And of course I would never do such a thing, I’m not so dim that I don’t realise the damage this would do.

I did have the most wonderful holiday in Canada this August with my two brilliant daughters.  I can hardly believe how lucky I am to have them. Just thinking about them makes me smile.  Coming home to my dead friends and reality has probably taken a wee bit of a toll on my usually sunny disposition (ha) - let's blame it on that shall we?

17 comments:

dinahmow said...

Oh crap! I emailed you a load of nonsense before you posted this. Double crap!

I can't bring back the friends you've lost. But there are still some left in the world.

Sometimes, all we need is a little wallow in pity's muck. Then someone makes us smile .

{xxx)

Tim said...

I wanted to post a comment, but couldn't find the words. So, anyway, here's a wordless comment.
Oh, except to say (though I haven't met you)- you are brave and strong.

Elephant's Child said...

I have no adequate words. Except to say that sometimes 'give us this day our daily whinge' is a perfectly sensible option.
And these magical five stage things have always struck me as crap. I don't believe that we all go through them - certainly not in a straight line, and I don't see any reason we should.
And from another who has not had the privilege of meeting you - wordless hugs.

Z said...

My sister felt angry with her husband for dying, completely irrationally as he didn't intend to, but my friend Sophie said she didn't, but that the second year was worse than the first. I'm so sorry that I haven't anything to say to help. And I'm so sorry about your friends and that it happened when you were away.

mig said...

I haven't enough bad words to say about what's happening to you.
Love you though.
xxx

Ella van Edek said...

Everybody else who has posted has said so beautifully what I wanted to say, but for which I couldn't find the words, that any further comment from me seems superfluous. However, 'someone' also said that there is a sixth stage- 'joy'. Which I suppose means his dick grew. :~((

xxxx

andrea said...

I'm glad I read this. It filled in a few gaps for me and put it all in perspective. I think you're facing this in a very healthy way, which certainly doesn't make it any easier. Harder, probably! I think we should craft our very own fantasy alternative life and live there instead, don't you?

BtWI keep jumping back and forth between the first two so-called stages and sorrow. And hearing that the second year is worse than the first is the last thing I needed to hear today! Thanks a lot, Z. :) And yes,your girls are amazing and I was so happy to meet them. I was so compromised that it never even occurred to me to have Carl come and meet you three, but I, too, am lucky to have a pretty great kid. xoxoxo

Z said...

I'm really sorry, Andrea, I only meant that each person has their own experience, which may well not be the same for someone else. It wasn't what my sister experienced, nor my mother.

andrea said...

Sorry Z, I was attempting to be tongue-in-cheek but gallows humour doesn't translate well. :) I just visited your cyber patch and it was a lovely visit, thanks!

Z said...

I know you were, still wringing my hands in mortification, though.

Vicus Scurra said...

You are lovely, I hope that you squeeze as much joy and laughter into each day as is possible.
love and peace

Rog said...

This moving and beautifully written post has taken blogging into a new league. It doesn't seem minutes since you were cavorting in Canada with your gorgeous intelligent girls like a modern day Bananarama so can't you just pop back there? At least you can pop back there in your mind whenever you fancy.
Keep those Ziggi spirits positive
xxx

Blue Witch said...

I was only saying earlier to a one-time-blogger friend of mine that people don't blog about hard stuff the way they used to.

I take it back.

Eloquent and courageous.

Do keep posting.

And the key is PMA - positive mental attitude.

Thinking of you.

Liz said...

That is a powerful and beautifully written post right there. Anybody who is not terminally ill but still thinks they are having a bad day should definitely read this.

There isn't anything I can add to what has already been posted, but I hope that writing your feelings down went some small way towards helping you deal with them.

Zig said...

I'd like to thank you so very much for your very kind words of solace. I'm fading to grey now and on a more even keel. Things are bound to go up and down I guess, and I've never been one for the calm seas! It's not a life skill I've managed to get the hang of.

Moominmama said...

wait, wha??!?!??! fuckin 'ell, zig. i had no idea. my fault for being out of touch for so long. jesus H. christ on a bicycle and all that.

and for what it's worth, the stages of grief are: denial, inebriation, copulation, acceptance. ask anyone from ireland.

Anonymous said...

Carissima.
It is possible to fight. And I think you will do.

The personal death is in my humble opinion a kind of Beleidigung, an insult. I am thinking every day about it, and have nothing that in any way seems to be "solacing", tröstend. I lost my family and some near friends to cancer and heart attacks. I had the pleasure to survive a heart attack some years ago, a mild one. My partner is suffering from severe asthma, and we were to the hospital's icu twice over the last ten years, oh yes. I hate the beeping sounds of those machines now.

Hospice is good, as far as I can say. (we have a good one here, maybe I'll work for them.)

The terrible fact stays with us. What calms me is that all and everybody has to face it, whatever will come afterwards, everybody has to go there, so I can give up a bit more easy - it's just not no more "here", it's other.
Maybe its the unknown land, I do not know, I will learn.

I did not follow your blog regularily, just popped in now and then.
I think it is important to speak, to say out loud, to face. Whatever you deceide to do with this blog, I will read you - and a lot of other people will too. It is not in vain here. You are not alone - as far and as long and as "helpful" all this may be.
SO there, that is what I want to say.