I only have the smallest of lawns, if indeed lawn can be used to describe a twelve foot square, even when it had grass. Now it is mainly dirt, to call it soil would be to show it more respect than it deserves. Before this sudden and unexpected dry spell I had mud. Mud of varying depths where small industrious dogs have applied their version of gardening which as far as I can tell involves digging an assortment of holes of various sizes with great enthusiasm and astonishing speed. This has caused the grass of which there was once a fair covering to vanish as though it never was, although it grows aplenty between the flag stones where it isn't required.
Anyhow, what to do? What to do, with this small and arid wastelend? It needs something to keep the dirt / mud from being brought into the house which it is doing in ever increasing volumes. If these dogs wore trews I would swear they were digging an escape tunnel and had little bags of the stuff up their trouser legs which they were cunningly depositing inside to disguise their nefarious activities. But they don't, so they must just be shovelling it in when I'm not looking and then blaming the cats.
Bailey is the main perpetrator, but he is leading the others astray. He told me earlier that he is in fact building me a golf course. He's just roughing it out at the moment.
("Rough! Rough!")
8 comments:
Dogs can be such astonishing diggers. We had German Shepherds while I was growing up and one dug a HUGE hole straight down. My eight year old self could hid in it with ease.
Perhaps a nice aromatic herb - chamomile or even one of the mints instead of lawn. It smells nice when trodden on, and once established is hardy and needs no mowing.
Haha! Can we borrow Bailey to catch our mole? Or burrow Bailey?
It seems to me that whatever you plant, they'll dig up. It might be simplest to put down membrane to stop grass growing through and gravel it - but then, thwarted, what will the dogs do with their digging energy? Otherwise, a large doormat outside the back door and teach Bailey to use it?
Concrete. That'll stop them digging, and provide a place for the helicopter you once promised yourself..
Reminds me of one of the original Gadrunia 'Notes and Queries': Q - "How can I stop my neighbour's cat digging up my vegetable patch?" A - "Concrete one or the other."
@Z...I don't think you can teach Bailey anything!He's a right little bugger -er, digger. Trouble is, he's cute with it...
I think you need to install a sort of walk-through-dog rub by the back door - like a car wash but dry with bristles. (It'll clean your shoes for you too).
And grow some sort of herb that makes dogs sleepy so whenever they start digging they fall asleep instead.
good ideas all, but I'm thinking pond ... no?
Post a Comment