Saturday, July 05, 2008

what can I say

it was BRILLIANT!

Suze

And CB you can ride Freddie next time!

Jax and you come too!

Pete - apparently the answer is YES, although I don't know a) how in charge I was or b) how legal it is.

Dave - rubbish it was the man in the petrol station.

Betty - not the ones that were smoking, they had to stay outside.

Geoff someone told me another horse/pub joke last night but I can't remember it - it will come back to me . . .

Jax Again, horses can see very well in the dark but I can't so we came home for about 9.30. (We had been out since 6.30!) Suze gets a bit spooky when it's dusk, she doesn't like car headlights, thinks they're tigers.

Dinah - Not PK I'm afraid, more Steptoe! Freddie - the thought is too frightening to contemplate! As it was Suze was shouted at for trompling on the marigolds and eating a hangbasket.

Kaz - funnily enough, my granny used to always refer to me as Calamity Jane - can't think why.

Mig - she does know her way home, lucky that!

Donn - they were singularly remiss in providing hitchin' rails for horses to be stolen from - I shall suggest it immediately. If anyone took liberties with Freddie he wouldn't just buck them, he'd then stamp them into the ground and bite their heads off. There's no messin' with the Fredster!
Less they bought him a drink of course, then he's anybody's.

12 comments:

Moominmama said...

That IS the most awesomest thing in the history of awesome. I do not have enough superlatives to describe the vast extent of the awesomeness you have created.


If there's a next time I will seriously cycle out to Devizes if I can come along. But I'm afraid I may be a bit too big for the Fredster. I weigh almost 13 stone.

Ponita in Real Life said...

Ziggi, that would be an absolute blast! I could definitely ride Thunder on a pub crawl - except that he would insist on coming in to socialize with the locals, have a few pints himself, and then be not much good at getting me home in one piece.... or even finding home....

I wonder how many pints a horse has to drink before he gets drunk?

andrea said...

I wish I'd been there!

What's with Suze's palomino (or is she a light chestnut in the UK?) body and dark head? That's a weird combination.

mig bardsley said...

Oh just huge enormous and overwhelming envy!

And admiration and indeed, awe.

dinahmow said...

"you can ride a horse to a pub, but you can't make him stand a round."

Ziggi, I would have loved to do this! Closest I ever got was when I was riding with some Pony Clubbers and one girl wanted to stop at the little country store for sweets. She cantered off the track and all the other ponies followed!

I'd even be prepared to ride The Fredster if he had a good bit and a short rein and caversham.(Do you think CB is sounding like FN?)

Ponita in Real Life said...

Andrea, the dark head is a sheer fly mask to keep the little nasties out of her eyes and ears. It is made of a very fine mesh. Very handy invention for hacking out, right Ziggi?

Over here in Canada, you can actually get mesh sheets to put over their chests, bellies and hind quarters for added protection (they fit around your saddle). We get horse flies the size of B52s here... they are very BIG nasties!

Anonymous said...

Ziggi, are you sure the horses weren't drinking? That one has a look that is familiar to me...the look some people (but not me of course) get after drinking too much, in that moment just before they....well, you know....barf.

Romeo Morningwood said...

Hope you brought some BIG poop bags!

Zig said...

Chauce - you welcome! Freddie is not rideable yet - when he is (next year) he will certainly be able to carry a mere 13 stone.

PG - last year Freddie broke into next doors orchard, ate a serious number of rotting plums and fell over! He was quite drunk, luckily no colicky after effects just a bad temper!

Andrea, Suze is a Haflinger palomino, she's too light to be chestnut, and as PG says that's a fly mask.

Mig - I had SUCH fun and besides being on the smallest horse, so I had to get off and get the drinks, we had a race. "We'll wait for you at the top" they said on their great big, long legged beasties. Well we came second! GO SUZE!

Dinah - next year! He's only 3. I have been preparing him for you (and CI) by sitting on the gate and resting my legs on his back. He is preparing me by biting my feet.
Fern, who doesn't get much of a look in because she is so good, may be a safer bet and doesn't bite feet or get drunk.

PG I couls use a sheet like that - Suze has sweet itch and it's nightmare - what's the make please?

C - that's just relaxed!

Donn - horse poo is a premium product - strange gardening types actually pay you for it! I'm kind and give it away :)

Ponita in Real Life said...

Ziggi - it is called Bug Armor by Cashel, and they make a belly guard (separate) as well. Check out their website at http://cashelcompany.com and they should be able to direct you to a dealer there. If not, I am sure you could order it from over here somewhere and have it shipped. Great stuff!

You can also get fly sheets for turnout that have a high neck and belly band to protect them as much as possible - that is what my Thunder wears. Just braid her mane in a few loose braids (I think you call them plaits, don't you?) to keep it tidy underneath.

I, Like The View said...

really?!?!

thanx, I am chuffed beyond belief!

:-)

just let me know when and where. . .

(might have to have a refresher course for how to hanlde a horse first tho!)(and of course, will need to be out of this hell hole first. . .)

XXX

andrea said...

Thanks for the fly mask info. I couldn't figure that out from the photo. (She is too light to be a light chestnut but for some reason I thought 'palomino' was not a term often used in the Uk. Shows what I know!)