Thursday, May 23, 2013



“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”


The most lovely Mig and her rather wonderful husband Barney, invited me to spend a few days on their narrow boat, with them of course, and travel along still waters.
Three ladies lunching

At times, it was wet both below and above, but it was also beautiful. Spring had sprung in Staffordshire, at least along the canal; and ducklings, goslings and cygnets floated serenely by except the three (stupid ones) that I nearly crushed betwixt the canal-side and the boat (they kept swimming towards the ever decreasing gap) (yes I know I was in charge of making it bigger (the gap) but I was watching them and flapping). I really don’t know who was most panic-struck, ducklings, mother duck or me but rescue came from unperturbed Barney as I thrust the tiller at him with eyes wide shut. 
Horses! 
Mig and Barney were brave indeed to let me loose in charge of steering their boat and I only hit a few things. They’re surprisingly resilient these boats, as of course, are the banks and the bridges if not the ducklings, who were saved by Barney’s swift adjustment in direction.  

I’d never been on a canal boat, or indeed a canal, before and I’m surprised frankly that more death and destruction doesn’t abound around these things.  There seemed many a way an individual, such as myself, with tiller or windlass and an unsteady gait,  could wreak havoc to one and all. 

Some children paddling that I just I failed to hit
And we’re lucky indeed that bridge 80 is still crossable above and through-able below, because I bounced their boat off both sides before abandoning the tiller once again.  It was unfortunate therefore, that we had to cross this damn bridge (by car) four flippin’ times that evening to and from the pub (twice to the pub, I know, ask Mig) and it was pointed out each and every time that this was the bridge to which I had so sadly failed to navigate in anything approaching aplomb or even control. And all at less than walking pace - it’s amazing, even to me.  

A cow

The pub though, served the best fish and chips I have ever had.

Thank you so much Mig and Barney.



When I returned ...

In Oakfrith Wood 
The Bluebells had come out 

... and then this happened!



8 comments:

andrea said...

Bright pinpoints of light in the dark. xo

mig said...

Darling Ziggi, you were brilliant! When you arrived, I was just about ready to give up on narrow boats and you just jumped in and joined in and even steered completely competently!
Come again, any time, you will always be welcome. xxxxxxx

mig said...

Oh and the repeat visit to the pub - I left my handbag hanging on a chair and we had to go back (over Bridge 80 - still standing) to collect it :)
Barney has battered many bridges over the years - it's amazing but both bridges and ducklings survive!

Elephant's Child said...

Oh. WHAT A TREAT. And the bluebells are the kitten are bliss too.

Rog said...

Who said canal breaks are relaxing?
Sounds and looks a fabulous trip - well done with the windlass !!

Z said...

That sounds brilliant, I adore slow boats. And kittens - adorable.

The Quacks of Life said...

little puddy cats!

dinahmow said...

And look! Me, in my Water Rat persona.
I think you did jolly well. Me? Had to steer away from a weir....