Friday, July 13, 2012
No sex please we're British (ish)
When my parents divorced and the joint properties were sold, my mother moved to a new house by the sea-side. She treated herself to new bed on her move, an all singing and dancing affair that lifted your head or feet or both I imagine, at the press of a button. I didn't think much about it at the time but it was a single bed. She wasn't that much older than I am now, so this morning I am pondering the significance of the singleness. Especially as when moving here to my single existence, I bought a double bed. Currently I sleep with one or two dogs and assorted passing cats so there's not much room for anyone else, but did I buy a double (and it never crossed my mind to buy a single) because somewhere in my subconscious I don't want to sleep alone?
?
?
It's a worrying thought because I believe that I quite like living alone. It's the first time in my life that I have done this. I have never before lived in a home that didn't contain at least one other human being. And it's liberating. And selfish, in that I only have my self to please, not counting of course the two dogs, four cats, four chickens, two rabbits and two ponies that need attention now and then. I eat when I like, sleep when I like, watch whatever I like on the telly and the remote is MINE. That will change a bit in a biggish sort of way when I return to work sometime in the nearish future, but not the essence of doing as I please. Now I'm starting to feel better I feel like a kid let loose in a toy shop, so why suddenly am I looking at my bed and wondering why I bought a double. Why would I want to share this oh so peaceful and self centred existence for god's sake? Perhaps I need a cold shower which is funny because I did unexpectedly have one this morning as the boiler seems to have gone on strike. It wasn't as much fun as those mad Scandinavians claim. And yesterday I made red currant jelly. Perhaps my subconscious is trying to save me from myself before I turn into a mad old cat (dog, pony, rabbit, chicken) woman with a shopping trolley and woolly hat. Which is another striking coincidence because when I was in hospital last month they gave me a brown woolly hat from the chemo hat and wig corner because no-one else liked it but I did.
I wonder where I can get such a useful thing as a shopping trolley?
(ps I did put paragraphs honest, but blogger as decided to ignore them again, perhaps because I'm using the iPad?)
13 comments:
The "singing and dancing" bed sounds a bit over the top. Surely you want a bit a quiet?
It's a well known fact that beds are never big enough. Single, double, king size, emperor size, Jeraboam, Beckham... it just goes on and on.
A double bed is always best whether there is one or two in there...I wouldn't know about three or four
I would be quite unable to cope with a single bed now - whenever Himself is away I spread out all over the place and can happily wait for him to come home.
And Yay! you're feeling better! Wonderful news!
xxx
I suppose you could swap your big bed for a smaller one and, should someone want to share the space, you could nip up to the attic and do your sharing there.(Better check with Gucci first, though! ;-) )
PS You forgot to mention the cakes!
Rog you are correct, with the passing traffic here (4 legged) I need wall to wall bedding to find a spot!
Nota yep!
Mig I feel fine - thank you
Di I'd forgotten I'd made cakes - fully embracing the country life :)
Having a double bed doesn't mean you intend to share it with anyone! I couldn't relax in a wee narrow single. Besides it would jar with my glamorous lady of mystery image...
So glad to hear you are feeling better... and enjoying your singleness!
I have lived by myself for five years now and have a queen sized bed. I sleep right in the middle! I like having the space. If I ever live with someone again, we'd have to get a king bed...
No one shares with me. The cats are kicked out for the night because Lila, despite being 3 1/2 years of age, has not figured out why she gets punted off the bed when she (a) licks my eyelids at 3 a.m. or (b) attacks my feet and bites my toes whenever I move. Pips would like nothing better than to snuggle against my legs for the night, but she's got the idea down pat that night time in my room is quiet time.
I think Lila is retarded. She's a very very slow learner (insert "never ever gets it" here). Entertaining (in the daytime) but retarded. ;-)
The last time I had a single bed, I ended up sharing it with a 6'4" bloke! Now I'm in a double on my own. Go figure.
Macy I would fall out of a single I have no doubt, and yes perhaps I'd like to be mysterious ... How do you do that?
Ponita hello! How are you, since blogging fell by e wayside and so did I, I've lost touch with so many lively people. How is your shoulder, love life etc! I have no door to my room so can't kick out assorted livestock, I find comfort in their presence.
Bb hello I have read you're blog and I love it, I haven't found anything intelligent enough to say yet though!
When writing a post on the iPad, go to the line of symbols on the right and click on the bottom one, a little wheel with cogs. The last option is for inserting line breaks. Click on to 'press "Enter" for breaks' or some such wording and then press 'done'. Enter, in this case, means press return as you normally would for a paragraph.
Alternatively, look up in design how to email a post to your blog and write it as a letter. I think you can post a picture in that way too by attaching it, but Rog would have to confirm that.
Thank you kindly!... you could just wave.
Haven't attempted blogging on my new iPad, but sounds like useful advice from Z
Post a Comment